Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting a Dish Remote to Control a DVD Player

Post Thanks / Like

Setting a Dish Remote to Control a DVD Player

322 receiver/ 3.0 IR remote

My DVD player remote has kicked the dust. Anyone know how I get my Dish Network receiver remote to control my DVD player? Is there some way to program it or do a frequency search or whatever?

The DVD player is ancient, from at least 15 years ago, so a modern remote may not work with it, but I thought, you know, since this remote is sitting right here, it's worth a shot.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    Nevermind, found an online "how to" guide that worked for me.

Here's the link to the instructions in case anyone else is trying to do the same thing:

How to Program a Dish Remote to Control a DVD Player | eHow.com

Post Thanks / Like
    After playing around with the remote for a while, I did have a couple questions:

The play, fast forward, rewind, pause, and stop buttons all work great. Neither the menu or the guide button get to the dvd's menu, though, and I'm not sure how to navigate forward or backward within menus (i.e. from "play movie" to "special features" or between episodes of television shows that are together on a single disc) because the buttons arranged in a circle that would normally do that actually are the play, forward, rewind, and fast forward buttons on the dish remote. Anyone know if the menu and navigation buttons are mapped to other parts of the remote? If so, which buttons am I supposed to be pressing for that stuff?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is kind of ridiculous. Did I set the thing up wrong or did they simply not include the ability to get to a dvd menu and switch between menus? It's pretty basic -- I am watching a disc of television episodes and can't even watch episode two because I can't navigate the menus. You'd almost think there'd have to be a way. Otherwise, saying it can "control" a DVD player is almost just a trollish type thing to get you to spend a few hours messing around with it and wondering why it only half works. Just saying it can only control the dish would at least have saved me the hassle of going through this if that is all it can truly do well.
    Last edited by HanoverPretzel; 04-30-2011 at 11:19 PM.

maryb@Dish Network is here from DISH Network to help!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HanoverPretzel View Post
    This is kind of ridiculous. Did I set the thing up wrong or did they simply not include the ability to get to a dvd menu and switch between menus? It's pretty basic -- I am watching a disc of television episodes and can't even watch episode two because I can't navigate the menus. You'd almost think there'd have to be a way. Otherwise, saying it can "control" a DVD player is almost just a trollish type thing to get you to spend a few hours wondering why it only half works. Just saying it can only control the dish would at least have saved me the hassle of going through this if that is all it can truly do well.
    There is no easy answer to your situation. My Dish Network remote does control my DVD menus, but exactly what any remote will do does vary by Mfg and the type of remote you are using. Just to be sure, have tried the menu button in the "DVD" mode and nothing happens? I would play with all the buttons and see what they do in the "dvd" mode. You can also to program a different code, some codes only allow for limited functions on non-dish equipment. I can llok up codes for the DVD based on the Mfg, please just post the name. Thanks!

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! TG2 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, TG2 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, TG2 did! Be COOL like TG2 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    it may not make a difference, but you might want to compare the code your using with the correct codes for the 3.x series remote. The link you have, is for the 5.x series of remotes.. in a brief comparison, I see several in the 3.x series that have more codes than the 5.x ... ie. Emerson has 2 codes on the 3.x remote, but the 5.4 only has 1 ... and the reverse is true too ... like the 5.x has 8 codes for hitachi, while the 3.x only has 6 ... so there could be additional codes or there could be different codes. (another example.. APEX on 3.x remote has a code 743 ... but the 5.x doesn't)

Manuals at Dish.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/supportsection/manuals

There's a guide there for the 322 receiver which has codes at the back of the book ... and there's a specific remote only manual too..

And beyond that .. as to the Top / Content menus ... because the remote you're working with is an older generation, with the "vcr / dvr" controls combined with the navigation controls, you may not have the option or you'd have to find a key that swaps between button functions

There's also this blurb
    Also, when you use the remote to
    control your VCR in limited mode, you will only be able to use the power
    and VCR function buttons
    so maybe the remote is in limited mode .. thus only allowing you the play funtions and power, and not setup, or other functions?

Last edited by TG2; 05-01-2011 at 12:08 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast