Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to get DirecTV on a TV in a room without a DTV box in it?

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible to get DirecTV on a TV in a room without a DTV box in it?

We recently closed in a room and want to put a TV in it. Instead of getting another box from DirecTV and paying an additional $5/month for it, we would like to use the signal from an existing TV in the room.

I had a friend that did this about 10 years ago and it worked just fine. You have the same show on each TV, but that is not a problem for us.

The problem and question is how do we do this. The room does not have a cable outlet so we would have to get one installed if it is even possible. We do not want to do this to save money (we already have 6 boxes that we rent each month).

I tried searching the net, but could not find much except for the X10, but it seems that you could only send just a PPV movie or maybe just one channel. It would be nice to be able to change channels while in the other room.

The TV signal was shared through a wireless signal.

Based on where the new room is, I cannot run a cable to it, so splitting the cable from the box is out of the question.

I was hoping to be able to somehow send the signal from the box to the other TV (maybe wirelessly).

This is what I found online and looks pretty good:
    I guess I cannot post URLs... The site is X10 and can beam the signal wirelessly.

Thanks,

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! charper1 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, charper1 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, charper1 did! Be COOL like charper1 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the originating box a HD box? Anyway they should have multiple set of outputs so you can use one to serve each room (same channel selection though). How far is the cable run going to be?

Also, adding a RG6 run to the new room (yep, you should have planned for that before you enclosed it) is not very expensive and easy to do also. This will also provide the best overall outcome too.
    DirecTV HR22, H21, H23, HR20, Sanyo PLV-Z 119", Acer H5360 106", Samsung PN51D450 51", Insignia NS-51P680A12 51", Onkyo TX-NR708, Onkyo HT-R550, Yamaha RX-Z, Sony BDP-S570, Sony PS3 (x2), D-Link Gigabit Network, ViaTalk Unlimited Everything VoIP ($13/mo)

Post Thanks / Like
    Those wireless senders are garbage. They run in the already overcrowded 2.4GHz band, so everything from your cordless phone to Wifi to your microwave will interfere with it. I tried them years ago for a security camera link, and it would barely work in the same room as the transmitter. You need to use a wired connection.

Post Thanks / Like
    To restate:

An output from your receiver can be split. You can use the coax output to the distant TV and the component cables to the close TV. You cam connect a modulator and run different forms of wire.

The wifi solutions suck.

Joe

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! DVDDAD did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, DVDDAD did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, DVDDAD did! Be COOL like DVDDAD and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which DirecTV receiver do you want to connect the two TV's to? Please tell us if any or both of the TV's are HDTV's and if one TV is an HDTV and the other a SDTV, which TV is in which location realitive to the DirecTV receiver? This would help us give you some additional wireless solutions.
    Best regards, Adam Okula
    http://www.AOKagency.com

Canceled Dish & joined DirecTV on 5/4/2011 (Due to SNY takedown). Four HR24's w/Whole Home DVR. Past Dish equipment:

ViP922 lessor from 04/08/2010 to 05/11/2011 **** ViP612 owner from 02/24/2010 to 05/11/2011
    ViP722 lessor from 12/16/2007 to 05/11/2011 **** ViP622 owner from 02/14/2006 to 05/11/2011
    942 owner from 04/30/2005 to 12/16/2007 ******** 921 owner from 01/20/2004 to 04/30/2005

Post Thanks / Like
    All of the outputs on the D* box are active. <br />
    <br />
    Buy a RF box from Walmart, connect it to the D box. The boxes have different inputs / outputs. Depending on what you want to use to connect the other TV. In our case I used a cheap box with composite (red, white yellow jacks) to connect to our D* receiver and Coax out to the TV. We had different drops for our D receiver so the old cable coax in the wall worked just fine for us and the tv was in the bedroom (small enough to not care about HD).<br />
    <br />
    Then connect that box via coax or whatever you want (depending on distance / what you have available) to the other tv. Use the remote in UF mode so it works through walls.

You could also run an HDMI or composite cables to the box and do the same thing.

Stay away from the wireless boxes though those things aren't worth a crap IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast