Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Thread: Problem with rectangular black box on screen

Post Thanks / Like

Problem with rectangular black box on screen

I was watching Fox on HD (show "24") last night and a big rectangular solid black box appeared on my screen which basically covered almost all of the bottom half of the screen. When I press any button on my remote (e.g., volume, guide, etc.) the box goes away, but reappears about 10 seconds later and stays there until I hit another button. This was also happening on the non HD Fox channel, and on non HD WB channel ("7th Heaven", "Summerland"). Wasn't happening on any other channel that I tried. Later on when the shows were over and the news came on, the black box went away. Any ideas?

This wasn't happening on my other TV, which leads me to believe it's either the receiver (Zenith) or the television (Samsung).

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure that closed captioning is off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I thought of that too. It was off.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm having the same problem - rectangular black box

I'm having the same problem. Occasionally a rectangular black box, almost the size of the screen, appears on my TV. In order to clear it, I have to turn the TV off and on. What's causing this problem? What is the solution?

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! texasbrit did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, texasbrit did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, texasbrit did! Be COOL like texasbrit and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is a closed captioning box generated by the TV ( not the DirecTV box). It happens when CC is on but set to one of the "unused" CC modes. Just make sure CC is off on the TV and it will go away.