Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!
- JOIN US AS A MEMBER TO GET RID OF MANY OF THESE ADS INCLUDING THIS BIG AD BOX!!!
- This message (and many of these ads) will appear on every screen until you register! CLICK HERE to Register for FREE!
Closed Captioning on Any HD Receiver?
Is anyone able to see Closed Captioning with a HD receiver?
Are any of the FTA HD STBs passing or displaying EIA-608 or EIA-708 CC? AZBox, Manhattan, Pansat, Sathawk ( S9 or S10)?
EIA-608 Closed Captioning is present only on analog outputs such as the composite, YC or component video outputs, but not on HDMI. The receiver passes the complete video screen including the Closed Captioning data then the TV processes and displays the Closed Captioning text. EIA-608 data is near the top of the screen on line 21 of the screen scan (those white dashes that you often see on the top edge of the picture on some over scan TVs).
Some example programs that carry 24/7 EIA-608 Closed Captioning are: TBN on Galaxy 19 - KU and Galaxy 14 - C, History on SES1 - KU.
EIA-708 Closed Captioning is typically processed and the text is overlayed on top of the video and is available on both digital and analog video outputs.
3ABN English on Galaxy 19 - KU has both EIA-608 and EIA-708 Closed Captioning.
12-06-2011 10:49 PM
S10 CCD -- "No Data"
I tried History on SES1, all the PBS feeds on 125w, and many other FTA channels. All I get from my non-clone S10 with 10/11 firmware is a little popup box that says: "NO DATA"
I know the PBS feeds have some type of closed captioning in the data stream, since all six of our OTA PBS channels have it available.
I am using the analog RGB video output on the S10.
My guess is the S10 hardware/chipset supports closed caption display, but it's not properly enabled in the firmware.
Hope this helps.
I have been using the AZBox Prem Plus HD for quite a long time now and I have not been able to get the CC to appear on any Ku band channels to date. I am not even sure how to access and initialize it (I've attempted to do so, but really don't know which setting parameter to enable in order to do so). I don't have a need for it, but on occasion I have tried to bring it up just t play around with it, no luck.
Thank you HWM for checking for the Closed Captioning with the S10. Appreciate your assistance!
Any one else want to test CC on their HD receiver?
i checked my s9 with both hdmi and component video. no data on the controller for the s9, no cc on the tv. it indicated with component video that it switched but with the hdmi the tv did not give me permission to do it. only checked to low channels on 97w. charlie
Try 3ABN on Galaxy19 KU. 3ABN has both EIA-608 and EIA-708.
Here is how to test for EIA-608 CC:
- If your receiver has a menu setting for subtitle, turn this ON.
- Exit the receiver menus and place the receiver on 3ABN
- Connect the receiver to a TV using any analog port (composite, YC or component cables).
- Select the correct analog input on your TV.
- On the TV remote or in the TV menus, locate the Closed Caption function and select CC1.
- Exit the TV menus and view 3ABN programming. Closed Captioning text may take up to 5 or 10 seconds to start displaying.
Tags for this Thread