Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DirecTV HR-34 - disappointing

Post Thanks / Like

DirecTV HR-34 - disappointing

I'm now over one month with my DTV service and I have to say I'm disappointed with the HR-34. The receiver operates very slowly, responds to controller requests slowly and whole home dvr is extremely unstable. I feel as if I am a test bunny for directv, even though I paid $99 for this box and $99 for my H25s.

Issues I have come across with the HR34 so far:

1. The response for guide and other menu options is extremely slow.

2 . Guide scrolling and channel changing is slow.

3. Receiver is unstable, I feel I have to reboot very often.

4. Whole home DVR is not stable. Every time I attempt to watch a recorded show it seems it can never make a connection and I have to keep clicking try again.

These things have been very annoying. I've tried the two CE releases for this receiver and it was disappointing to say the least, but it's beta software so I'd expect it.

I'm considering calling directv and complaining about all of this. I feel the receiver was not as finely turned as it should be.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! royrdsjr did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, royrdsjr did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, royrdsjr did! Be COOL like royrdsjr and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the settings page of your H25's,does the HR34 show up on the Whole Home Status page as "Sharing On,Deletion On"? I would have thought that the HR34 would operate along the lines of the HR24,which I have found very stable. Another thing,I've found that my HD DVR's respond better to my remotes if I have my remotes on IR. RF on my remotes can be a headache when it comes to trying to change channels,pull up the menu,& absolutely trying to type in 0-2-4-6-8 to download the latest CE. I'm not sure if you have your remote to your HR34 set to RF,but if it is,change it to IR to see if the HR34 responds better to your remote commands(if you had your HR34 hooked up to a Slingbox,you'd have to have it set up for IR anyway).

Post Thanks / Like
    I've noticed the very same things when playing with it. I don't have one but we have one at our warehouse (we have every box that's out there including the TiVo) and when I was playing with the HR34 it was extremely slow to respond and whenever I would try to pull up something on MRV it would either take forever or disconnect half way through. Not sure if it's just a glitch in the software or not. Ours is hooked up via a SWM 16 so I assumed that was the problem with it dropping out of MRV. I've seen that happened a lot but now I wonder if it's really the box having the issues. I also was unable to pull up the signal strength.

And for the record, I bashed TiVo this whole time and the new one is actually a really well put together machine. I actually considered getting one!

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! gadgtfreek did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, gadgtfreek did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, gadgtfreek did! Be COOL like gadgtfreek and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gigahurtz View Post
    I'm now over one month with my DTV service and I have to say I'm disappointed with the HR-34. The receiver operates very slowly, responds to controller requests slowly and whole home dvr is extremely unstable. I feel as if I am a test bunny for directv, even though I paid $99 for this box and $99 for my H25s.

Issues I have come across with the HR34 so far:

1. The response for guide and other menu options is extremely slow. Mines only been slow on score/active channels like ESPN

2 . Guide scrolling and channel changing is slow.I use Native, so there is a lag, havent noticed anything other than that.

3. Receiver is unstable, I feel I have to reboot very often.ONLY time Ive had to reboot it since it got going was when I did those damn buggy CE's, they suck right now so I went back the 04c9 software.

4. Whole home DVR is not stable. Every time I attempt to watch a recorded show it seems it can never make a connection and I have to keep clicking try again.Ive not used MRV on the 34, but it was flawless on my HR24 and HR22

These things have been very annoying. I've tried the two CE releases for this receiver and it was disappointing to say the least, but it's beta software so I'd expect it. The current CE's are "high risk", stay away if you want anything close to reliable

I'm considering calling directv and complaining about all of this. I feel the receiver was not as finely turned as it should be.
    IMO, as someone who has owned a HR20, HR24 and now HR34 the first month they came out, Directv usually takes a few months after public release to get it worked out.

That being said, Im running mine on a AM21 and EHD and recording up to 4 things at a time some nights without issue. My only complaint right now is how it slows down on the active channels.
    65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
    X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
    Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
    Directv HR44-200 / TiVo Roamio

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by royrdsjr View Post
    On the settings page of your H25's,does the HR34 show up on the Whole Home Status page as "Sharing On,Deletion On"? I would have thought that the HR34 would operate along the lines of the HR24,which I have found very stable. Another thing,I've found that my HD DVR's respond better to my remotes if I have my remotes on IR. RF on my remotes can be a headache when it comes to trying to change channels,pull up the menu,& absolutely trying to type in 0-2-4-6-8 to download the latest CE. I'm not sure if you have your remote to your HR34 set to RF,but if it is,change it to IR to see if the HR34 responds better to your remote commands(if you had your HR34 hooked up to a Slingbox,you'd have to have it set up for IR anyway).
    All settings are set up correctly. This issue has gone on since the start. The MRV is very flaky at best. I had issues at the start, but it turned out it was a bad H25 box that was replaced. Now, the problem continues and there is no rhyme or reason to it. It's extremely annoying.

I realize that these issues will hopefully get worked out over time, but why not work most of these issues out BEFORE selling the product to customers? As a returning customer, this puts a really bad taste in my mouth that I'm stuck in a contract on something that's not working that well. It's very frustrating and annoying for me to deal with this. I am happy with DirecTV overall, but this particular issue really bugs me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
    IMO, as someone who has owned a HR20, HR24 and now HR34 the first month they came out, Directv usually takes a few months after public release to get it worked out.

That being said, Im running mine on a AM21 and EHD and recording up to 4 things at a time some nights without issue. My only complaint right now is how it slows down on the active channels.
    I realize that CE releases are very high risk and aren't stable. Unfortunately, even the NR release with the SD GUI is unstable and not functioning properly so I have nothing to lose at this point. I've reverted back to the NR from the last CE release. I'm hoping that the bugs will get worked out when the NR release for the HD GUI is out.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast