Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok can someone tell me how to pause/rewind live tv

Post Thanks / Like

Ok can someone tell me how to pause/rewind live tv

Hello to all, I was a cable customer until 4 years ago when I switched to dish, I have been pleased for the most part. So the other day I'm in SAMs club and the salesman starts the sales pitch for direct. He tells of the higher quality, more sats in orbit, the new rf remotes on the new system, the small size of the new recievers, more channels, yada yada, what he fails to tell me is that while watching live tv I can no longer pause/rewind live tv unless I am watching the tv with the dvr receiver. Don't know about you guys but I use that feature every day, it is an absolute deal breaker for me, I will be forced to switch back to dish. System has been installed about 10 days now, haven't disconnected my dish service yet. I thought that newer equipment would bea good thing but now it seems I've lost functionality for the sake of having hd at all tv's (I have 6). The additional channels, nice remotes, slick little boxes, etc. Don't mean anything to me if I can't pause/rewind live tv, called direct, they told me to hit the record button, wtf, really? This system has got to go, what say you. Dish says their new system will be out soon, wonder if they will go the same way, crazy stuff. Thanks to all

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    I say you did very little research if you didn't know you needed a DVR to pause and rewind live tv. That said, if you've got the whole home DVR system, just hitting the record the button for the show you're watching doesn't seem like such a horror to me.

I think you're looking for an excuse to go back to whatever you had but you're going to be looking at one hell of an ETF if you do so I strongly suggest you get used to it.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! DVDDAD did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, DVDDAD did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, DVDDAD did! Be COOL like DVDDAD and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to SatelliteGuys! It's too bad you didn't join us before you signed up. It's not DirecTV that's the problem, it's the equipment that you got from DirecTV that seems to be the problem. Just like Dish Network, not all of DirecTV's receivers are DVR's (Digital Video Recorder). You can't pause a receiver that doesn't have a hard drive in it and only DVR's have hard drives in them. It sounds like like not all of your DirecTV boxes are DVR's. Go back to the guy you bought them from, and explain that you need DVR's for all of your TV's. You need receivers that have a HR in the reciever model number, such as HR-24. Now that you already had the eqipment installed and you are ten days into your contract, it's not so easy to cancel withought paying a termination charge.
    Best regards, Adam Okula
    http://www.AOKagency.com

Canceled Dish & joined DirecTV on 5/4/2011 (Due to SNY takedown). Four HR24's w/Whole Home DVR. Past Dish equipment:

ViP922 lessor from 04/08/2010 to 05/11/2011 **** ViP612 owner from 02/24/2010 to 05/11/2011
    ViP722 lessor from 12/16/2007 to 05/11/2011 **** ViP622 owner from 02/14/2006 to 05/11/2011
    942 owner from 04/30/2005 to 12/16/2007 ******** 921 owner from 01/20/2004 to 04/30/2005

Post Thanks / Like
    You can only rewind and pause live TV with a DVR and that is the case with all providers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I will admit that I didn't do my homework, and yes I also know that you have to have a dvr to record, that being said; this guy never said a word about losing that feature! Probably the most important, its a feature that I use at least 5 times for the 2 - 3 hours a day I actually get to watch tv. Hitting the record button is as silly as it sounds, I have had dvr's for over 8 years or so no problem on how they work, but this system was touted as the best, very high capacity, can record from any room back to the common dvr, can play back in any room from the common shared dvr, he'll you can even go from room to room if the notion strikes you and watch the program all over the freaking house if you felt so compelled to do so, after which you need to get your head examined, but don't Try to pause or rewind live tv! Again I went in to buy a tv, guy sold me on this equipment, did I research, no but I can tell you for the last 8 to 10 years I have been able to rewind / pause live tv, this system should be no different. I understand what you are saying about the dvr's at every location, every location that I want to be able to pause/rewind, in the process of calling direct tonite, just kinda sux that this info wasn't forwarded to the consumer, surely he has heard this complaint before, hard to do business with people who don't tell the whole story, and by this I mean my salesman, money wasn't an issue I would've bought the additional dvr's. And I don't give a damn if I ever go back to dish but they were always good to me, no complaints, just kinda got sold a bill of goods that's all. Sorry for THE RANT!

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Jimbo did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Jimbo did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Jimbo did! Be COOL like Jimbo and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Somedevildawg View Post
    Yes I will admit that I didn't do my homework, and yes I also know that you have to have a dvr to record, that being said; this guy never said a word about losing that feature! Probably the most important, its a feature that I use at least 5 times for the 2 - 3 hours a day I actually get to watch tv. Hitting the record button is as silly as it sounds, I have had dvr's for over 8 years or so no problem on how they work, but this system was touted as the best, very high capacity, can record from any room back to the common dvr, can play back in any room from the common shared dvr, he'll you can even go from room to room if the notion strikes you and watch the program all over the freaking house if you felt so compelled to do so, after which you need to get your head examined, but don't Try to pause or rewind live tv! Again I went in to buy a tv, guy sold me on this equipment, did I research, no but I can tell you for the last 8 to 10 years I have been able to rewind / pause live tv, this system should be no different. I understand what you are saying about the dvr's at every location, every location that I want to be able to pause/rewind, in the process of calling direct tonite, just kinda sux that this info wasn't forwarded to the consumer, surely he has heard this complaint before, hard to do business with people who don't tell the whole story, and by this I mean my salesman, money wasn't an issue I would've bought the additional dvr's. And I don't give a damn if I ever go back to dish but they were always good to me, no complaints, just kinda got sold a bill of goods that's all. Sorry for THE RANT!
    Difference is, you only have 1 DVR in the system, so you only have a Hard Drive on the main one, so you only get the funtions on the one with the HD.

This is a GREAT reason to NOT go with that set up.
    Personally, I have 4 HD DVRs, If you have a DVR in the system theres NO reason to not have all of them be DVR's as you only pay for the DVR functions per account, not each DVR.

Also this is a much simpler set up.
    Play Ball !!!

2 HR24-500's, 2 HR24-100's, SL3 Dish, SWM Dish, AM21, 60" Pioneer Elite, 2 - 42" Pioneer Elite's, Sony BDP-S790, Seagate 1.5 TB EHD

Thinking of signing up for DIRECTV? Please PM me for my DIRECTV account number and we can both save $100 on our DIRECTV bill!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast