Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Thread: RG6 or RG11

Post Thanks / Like

RG6 or RG11

I have a Dish Network Exede satellite internet system. The dish is approximately 200' away from the modem, connected by RG6, solid copper, ~ 8 year old, cable running through conduit. The long run, per the dish network tech, results in poor cable attenuation (20.1 db) and less than ideal (though generally pretty good) internet service.

To improve service, he suggested using RG11, solid copper, direct burial, quad shielded cable. The problem is that RG11, solid copper, direct burial cable does not appear to exist (except Belden #7732A which would cost over ~$1,000 for the 200 ft). I understand that satellite systems work best with solid copper to conduct electricity to the lnb but that RG11 would perform substantially better as to signal loss.

So, my question(s) are:

1. Is there a RG11, solid copper, direct burial, quad shielded cable that I can purchase for say less than $350.
    2. If not, am I better off with an RG11, copper clad steel, cable along the lines of the Belden 1618A cable which should improve the signal.
    3. Or, a high quality RG6, solid copper, cable which would conduct electricity well (better than RG11?) but not help as much with the signal loss.

Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

nelson61 is offline Proud Staff Member
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should just about quadruple your signal strength (about 6 dbw) with the copper clad RG11 when compared to your existing cable run. So. no need for more than RG 11 copper clad.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Dishman-n-nc did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Dishman-n-nc did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Dishman-n-nc did! Be COOL like Dishman-n-nc and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have R11 cable. Pm me and let me know where you live. Depending on location will depend on if I can help you.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Claude Greiner did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Claude Greiner did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Claude Greiner did! Be COOL like Claude Greiner and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a question, do you got a garage close by to the Dish?

Put the modem in the Garage, and run cat5 into the house through the conduit.
    Claude Greiner

In Memory of Tiger Stadium
    April 28th 1896 - September 21st 2009