Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Locations vs Names?

Post Thanks / Like

Satellite Locations vs Names?

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but I'm going to bring it up again in case it hasn't. Maybe someone can convince me that I'm wrong here.

Satellites come and satellites go. Since I got into C band in 1988 I've lost count of the different names that have been used for each new bird that was launched. Having said that I often wonder why people always use the name of the satellite instead of it's location in the arc? It just doesn't make sense to me to have to remember new names for satellites when they are constantly changing but the LOCATION usually stays the same?? When I setup my FTA systems I started out my channel lists by naming each satellite with it's position first, ie, 91_C_Galaxy17 or 91_K_Galaxy17. That way I don't necessarily have to keep track of names and I've got my satellite list in numerical order, which is where they are in the Clark Belt. The way stuff is usually posted now I have to go to my setup sheet and look for the satellite name to associate with a position in order to go there? It just doesn't make sense to do it this way?? Or is it that I'm just old and suffer from "CRS"!
    10 ft Winegard, DMX-741S LNBF, VonWeise Mover, Micro HD/AZBox Elite/Openbox S9 and PowerMax Vbox X.

10 ft Unimesh, DMX-741S LNBF, VonWeise Mover, Micro HD/AZBox Ultra/Openbox S9 and PowerMax Vbox X.

With both systems seeing 37W back to 139W plus 23 local channels OTA, we are a subscription free home!

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

ke4est is online now Long Live FTA
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    My opinion is this: It is easier in the psychology of the human brain to associate a name with something rather numbers.

Lets say you have 3 friends. 1st friend, Paul, lives at 91W Main Street, the second, James, at 99W Main Street, and the 3rd, Scott at 105W Main Street.
    How often do you say hey lets go to 91W's house to hang out, you don't you say Paul's house. Now say Paul moves far far away. A new guy moves into the house at 91W Main Street, his name is Frank. You become good friends with Frank. Guess what, when you go there you refer to it as Frank's house, even though Paul is the one that built the house originally. Also, you still in going to see Frank don't say 91W

Just my opinion on the way the mind works.
    FTA---> GEOSATpro microHD, Amiko Nano HD, Mini HD SE, etc. 120" Unimesh for C-band only with Titanium Satellite C1-PLL > 55.5W to 131W, Titanium Satellite ASC-1 Controller.
    -----------GEOSATpro 90cm and Titanium Satellite PLL-1KS on Stab HH-90 motor, GEOSATpro 1.2M and SL2PLL fixed at 125W.
    DISH--> Dish America Silver Pack + Encore and Starz

ke4est @ SatelliteGuys.US If You Want To Stay Ahead Of The Rest, Please Click Here----Always Here To Help!!

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! PopcornNMore did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, PopcornNMore did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, PopcornNMore did! Be COOL like PopcornNMore and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been into satellite since 1982 and I always went by the name. In fact, when someone mentions for example that a channel is ITC at 87 I must always log onto Lyngsat to see that they are referring to SES2.

Dishes: 240cm (8') WS International Dish, C-Band * 180cm (6') Fortec Dish, C-Band * 180cm (6') Channel Master Dish, C-Band * 120cm (4') Channel Master Dish, SG2100 H-H, KU-Band * 36" X 26" Channel Master (StarBand) Dish, DBS * 18" Dish, DirecTV, DSS LNBF * Dish 1000+, Dish Network
    OTA Antennas: Terk TV-32 UHF Antenna, (Pittsburgh, PA locals) * Antennacraft MXU59 UHF Antenna, (Johnstown, PA locals)
    Receivers: VIP722 Dish Network * Coolsat 4000 Premium * Coolsat 6100 PVR * Openbox S9 HD PVR * Motorola DSR-410DS

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Iceberg did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Iceberg did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Iceberg did! Be COOL like Iceberg and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    no matter what there are 4 types of folks out there when it comes to this
    -folks who refer to them by name
    -folks who refer to them by slot
    -folks who refer to them by both
    -folks who complain because someone else isn't doing it the same way they are
    FOLLOW THE BUZZARDS.....

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Babadem did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Babadem did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Babadem did! Be COOL like Babadem and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer orbital locations. They never change, and that is what I/my motor look for when moving or aiming the dish. It's simpler, easier and more accurate to locate.
    AZBox Me, MicroHD, and OpenBox S10 HD PVR Receiver. DG-380 Motor (37.6W to 125.0W), on 1.2M Geosat Pro. 3ABN Dish @30.0W. 2nd 1.2M looking @103.0W. 12FT Paraclipse Dish looking from 43.1W to 107.3W.

DishPointer

http://satcalculator.freehostia.com/index.php

Magnetic Declination Calculator

SatStar_Old Lyngsat Maps

VLC Player Tutorial

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! dwingel did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, dwingel did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, dwingel did! Be COOL like dwingel and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Location means a lot more to me than name.
    Dale
    Motorola DSR922 4DTV; Coolsat 5000 platinum FTA; 10' BUD;
    3X1 Scalar Ring with Zinwell Universal 0.7dB Ku LNBF; Galaxy LNBALP01 0.6dB DSS LNBF; CoRotor II plus feedhorn with Aspen 77L5 0.6dB Ku LNB and Precision PNJ 17deg C-band LNB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast