Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Thread: HR23-700 Won't Power UP

Post Thanks / Like

HR23-700 Won't Power UP

I confirmed that that my HR23-700 DVR is getting power from the wall. However, there is no standby light and it won't turn on. I believe the fuse is blown. Since I don't have maintenance service with DirecTV (and I don't want to lose the programs on the hard drive if they were to replace the DVR), I'd like to try replacing the fuse. However, while the board supporting the the power input jack has a notice on it regarding the fuse, I can't identify the fuse. It must not look like any fuse I'm used to seeing. Please help.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwp818
    I confirmed that that my HR23-700 DVR is getting power from the wall. However, there is no standby light and it won't turn on. I believe the fuse is blown. Since I don't have maintenance service with DirecTV (and I don't want to lose the programs on the hard drive if they were to replace the DVR), I'd like to try replacing the fuse. However, while the board supporting the the power input jack has a notice on it regarding the fuse, I can't identify the fuse. It must not look like any fuse I'm used to seeing. Please help.
    I wouldn't open it up. By doing so you may end up buying the receiver out right. I would eat the lost recordings and have Directv swap the receiver. They'll offer you the protection plan and waive the $49 fee. Been seeing it a lot lately

Post Thanks / Like
    The unit is leased and to replace it will cost you only $20.00 for shiping. The so called protection plan is not worth the cost. If you break the seal on the back it will cost you around $500.00.

raoul5788 is offline Studebaker driver
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    You might try calling Directv and explaining your situation. They may give you their blessings to open it up and try to fix it. If they do, make sure to get conformation in writing, like by email. If not, like ClemSole said, it will cost at most $20, the shipping to replace it. They may not charge you the shipping if you ask. Also, make sure they don't extend or renew your commitment if they replace the dvr.
    BTW, my name is Chip, Raoul5788 is just a screen name

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a replacement, they will send you a refurbished one for 19.95, if you ask nicely maybe they will credit it.

The refurbished receiver has a 30 day warranty, they will most likely send you a different model.

Equipment replacements never extend contracts, only an upgrade will do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    PS- the 19.95 is the FedEx 2 day shipping charge. The equipment is no cost because it's leased.