Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DirecTV on Demand Internet Connection

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! red hazard did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, red hazard did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, red hazard did! Be COOL like red hazard and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like

Question DirecTV on Demand Internet Connection

A couple of days ago I hooked my HR24 to the internet to see what the On Demand product looked like. I do see tons of programs but if you select on it merely asks, inter alia, if you want to record the program. If one is not interested in PPV, what benefits are there being connected to the internet and why is it called "on demand"? If this has been covered in another thread, kindly point me to it.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! DVDDAD did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, DVDDAD did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, DVDDAD did! Be COOL like DVDDAD and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although the receiver records the on demand content you can begin watching it a few minutes after you begin recording it. Some of the networks have their shows on demand for free. Here is a list of what I get on demand:

CNN, ESPN, ESPNU, GOLF, HGTV, DIY, FOOD, COOK, STYLE, E!, BRAVO, AUD, HSN, SPIKE, USA, SyFy, TNT, tryTV, TBS, FX, COMEDY, OXYGEN, LifeTime, AMC, TCM, FMC, WE, BBCA, A&E, BIO, DOC, HISTORY, LOGO, OVATION, NATGEO, TRAVEL, DISCOVERY, ANIMAL PLANET, NatGeoWild, SCIENCE, PLANET GREEN, DIS, DISXD, The Hub, Sprout, CARTOON Network, NICK, NickJr, TeenNick, TVLD, HDNet, ABCF, CMT, BETMTV, MTV2, VH1, VH1 Classic, GOSPEL, FUSE, BLOOM, WEATHER, ESPND, & MTV3, then you also have the premium channels:

HBO, MAX, STARZ, ENCORE, ShowTime, TMC, FLIX, Sundance, IFC Free, HDNET Movies, SONY, Smithsonian, & ShortsHD.,

RKTV, JUICY, SeduXXXtion, & Hustler are available but they are PPV.

There's also, NBCS, Sportsman, OUT, SPEED, Big10, Fuel, KARAOKE, CONCERT.TV, MAG RACK, SKI, Adult Swim, & Anime.

I hope this helps.
    Best regards, Adam Okula
    http://www.AOKagency.com

Canceled Dish & joined DirecTV on 5/4/2011 (Due to SNY takedown). Four HR24's w/Whole Home DVR. Past Dish equipment:

ViP922 lessor from 04/08/2010 to 05/11/2011 **** ViP612 owner from 02/24/2010 to 05/11/2011
    ViP722 lessor from 12/16/2007 to 05/11/2011 **** ViP622 owner from 02/14/2006 to 05/11/2011
    942 owner from 04/30/2005 to 12/16/2007 ******** 921 owner from 01/20/2004 to 04/30/2005

Post Thanks / Like
    I despise that this service is called On Demand. They should have called it Download and Wait.

Essentially what this feature does is downloads this program (that you first set to "record") into your playlist and you watch it from there.

Download speeds depend on your Internet of course, but I recommend to let it download about 20-25% before you watch it, to avoid catching up to the part that is not downloaded. (buffering will occur).

Other benefits are TV apps, access that by pressing the right arrow button while watching a channel. Depends on if they are workin at the moment.

YouTube and pandora (online music radio service) is also a plus to having the interwebs on your DTV box.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! red hazard did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, red hazard did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, red hazard did! Be COOL like red hazard and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OSD771 View Post
    I despise that this service is called On Demand. They should have called it Download and Wait.

Essentially what this feature does is downloads this program (that you first set to "record") into your playlist and you watch it from there.

Download speeds depend on your Internet of course, but I recommend to let it download about 20-25% before you watch it, to avoid catching up to the part that is not downloaded. (buffering will occur).

Other benefits are TV apps, access that by pressing the right arrow button while watching a channel. Depends on if they are workin at the moment.

YouTube and pandora (online music radio service) is also a plus to having the interwebs on your DTV box.
    Concur! I only waited about 5 mins and about 15 mins into the program, it started buffering. I would guess that the bottleneck is at DirecTV as I have 100Mbps internet service from Charter and speed tests indicate that I am usually getting that speed on my Gigabit intranet. I use Roku for non-Directv programming and usually do not have any buffering issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    DIRECTV recommends a minimum download speed of 3 Mbps in order to utilize the On-Demand services.

Facebook, Twitter, and other internet apps are also available through having your DIRECTV HD-dvr connected to the internet and are available in the app store.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive never had an issues, if you bring up the dvr "list" the download bar changes colors based on how much is downloaded in comparison to the projected buffering rate. IE When the bar is green you should be able to watch without any issues. I have comcasts 30MB Blast service and usually start it within a minute or two of starting the download. never buffers. this is using swm as my internet feed. Not sure if the direct ethernet hookups are different.
    Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
    To obtain, something of equal value must first be lost.
    That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
    In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only truth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast