Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Hacking" the Roku

Post Thanks / Like

"Hacking" the Roku

With many new Roku owners about to show up thanks (or no thanks) to Dish dropping AMC, and opening their pocketbooks to retain customers. But guess what, the Roku is more than just a portal to Amazon Streaming. From some digging around I've been doing it actually is kinda cool. In fact you can get the developer SDK and create your own channel. There are many private channels out there and such.

One thought I've had is how to get Live tv on the box. Playon has access to some network stuff of the network websites. But if I have an HD antenna, what can I do with that?

How about fire up a n HDHomeRun HDHR3-US (around 130usd). Using their SDK pull the stream off their two OTA antennas, run it through VLC to transcode it to a more streaming friendly stream and then send that off to a media server running some custom Roku code to setup the channel.

Bang, a OTA antenna channel on the Roku.

They already is a mythTV channel for the Roku that will allow you to grab stuff off your MythTV server.

What else could we do with the Roku or what are folks doing?

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! thechaz05 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, thechaz05 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, thechaz05 did! Be COOL like thechaz05 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    New to the Roku here and was looking to get access to a list of some good private channels and how to get them. I like this thing cause it its small enough to take to any room in the house I want.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app
    Let's Go Pens!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    There are various lists for Roku and PlayOn showing private channels. Of course some are actually private, and others are pay services. the first interesting one I found was the Nowhere TV channel. Covers all sorts of stuff. just google Roku private channels and you find all sorts of aggregation sites.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! thechaz05 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, thechaz05 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, thechaz05 did! Be COOL like thechaz05 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_H
    There are various lists for Roku and PlayOn showing private channels. Of course some are actually private, and others are pay services. the first interesting one I found was the Nowhere TV channel. Covers all sorts of stuff. just google Roku private channels and you find all sorts of aggregation sites.
    Thanks if you know of anything more feel free to pm me. I will check out nowhere tv in a bit

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app
    Let's Go Pens!!!!!

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! DustoMan did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, DustoMan did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, DustoMan did! Be COOL like DustoMan and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: DustoMan
    Here's a link to a thread from last year that has a PDF of private channels:
    http://www.satelliteguys.us/streamin...nels-roku.html
    Dusto
    dustoman at gmail dot com
    hopper on 1080p Panasonic HDTV
    2 joeys on 2 1080p Vizio HDTVs
    OTA is HERE!

Scott Greczkowski is offline HERE TO HELP YOU!
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: scottct1
    Here is the best list of private channels.

Roku & PlayOn Channel List: Roku Private Channels

Scott

Thinking about signing up for DISH? Use one of these codes and we BOTH save $50! - HOP019897404 - AHP046085712 - HOP017098428 THANK YOU!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast