Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smallest dish size for C Band

Post Thanks / Like

Smallest dish size for C Band

What is the smallest dish size that one can use for C Band?

Geographically speaking I am in the Midwest.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! charper1 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, charper1 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, charper1 did! Be COOL like charper1 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    you can find many small sizes but for a decent C/Ku setup i say no smaller than 8.5' but prefer 10' for $100 more. or you can scout your area for free 10' dishes that the unknowing gave up on and never had removed, just update the feed & lnbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on the satellite footprint, the power of the satellite, and your location you can go as low as 5'. However, with a dish that small you are likely to receive only a few satellites with a good signal. 8' is rather the standard size, but some go with 10'-14' dishes to pull in some sats with very low signal over the US. In the late 80's I was able to receive a very snowy picture from one of the Intelsat satellites over the Atlantic Ocean with an 8' here at 80 degrees west. Of course things have changed and receiving those sat locations are fairly easy now.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Stargazer did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Stargazer did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Stargazer did! Be COOL like Stargazer and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 4 or 5 foot C/Ku Band satellite dish. Some channels would not come in that well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend that anyone considering getting a C-band Dish get a 10ft. dish and not try to see how small you can go, satellites used to be spaced farther apart then they are now and with a too small dish you will have problems with adjacent satellite interference. The minimum size to work with the 2 degree satellite spacing we have now is about 81/2 ft. but you must be very precise on your alignment, a 10ft. properly aligned is even better.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 4 foot dish that I would like to play with for C-Band just because it was free, it is an offset channel master 1.2M. What type of LNBF would I need to get for it? All of the ones I find are Primefocus and I know I need an off set.

Also can somone detail what the major advantage between prime focus and offset dishes are?

Thanks

Wholeshoe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast