Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Constantly losing signal for HD.

Post Thanks / Like

Constantly losing signal for HD.

Pretty much what the title says, but signal looks pretty good when weather is fair or good. So far today I lost signal for some HD channels about 4-5 time atleast. Now of course we are getting storms here in P.A today, but the rain has not been extremely heavy. I posted my signal readings on here about a month or 2 ago and was told they look pretty good. I was told it could be a loose coax connection at the LNB and also a faulty LNB. The question is how to tell if the LNB is in fact faulty or not?

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

raoul5788 is online now Studebaker driver
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Techs can probably test them, but switching them out is how I would do it.
    BTW, my name is Chip, Raoul5788 is just a screen name

Post Thanks / Like
    First off, you should check your signal levels before you endeavor to break and make cable connections. If the clear weather signals are in the 90's, it is unlikely (although still possible if water is running into a connection), that cabling is an issue.

Another test that doesn't involve tearing things apart is if the signal levels remain relatively high on the SD channels, rain fade a very likely the problem. DIRECTV's HD signals are significantly more susceptible to rain fade than the SD signals.

Know that it is the cloud heads that cause the fade and not the rain itself. If this is the same front that blew through Ohio yesterday, this likely is how it is going to be until the storm blows over.

Post Thanks / Like
    The band used to transmit HD stations is much more likely to have issues in rainy weather than the SD stations. More than likely its just the weather causing the issues. In SE FL we lose signal for 30 seconds to a few minutes most rain storms. Its just normally not noticeable unless you have something recording during that time or you are watching it live. Since the rain comes around late afternoon in rainy season and there isn't much on except maybe a random sponge bob rerun getting recorded at that time I usually don't notice it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by harshness View Post
    First off, you should check your signal levels before you endeavor to break and make cable connections. If the clear weather signals are in the 90's, it is unlikely (although still possible if water is running into a connection), that cabling is an issue.

Another test that doesn't involve tearing things apart is if the signal levels remain relatively high on the SD channels, rain fade a very likely the problem. DIRECTV's HD signals are significantly more susceptible to rain fade than the SD signals.

Know that it is the cloud heads that cause the fade and not the rain itself. If this is the same front that blew through Ohio yesterday, this likely is how it is going to be until the storm blows over.
    The system that moved over P.A today came down from the Great lakes and so far has not packed the wallop they said it would. Now I have been with Directv just about a year now and had Dish for 13 years before and can pretty much say that I did not have this much of a problem with them. The thing that makes me think there is some sort of a problem is I heard alot of people say that Directv is slightly better when it comes to rain fade. As for the standard Def. channels I checked 1 or 2 of them and only saw the 1 go out for a few seconds and held the rest of the time. My uncle had Directv and he only lives about a hour away from me and he said he hardly ever lost his signal and he had HD. So, I am not sure what to think at this point, but I am going to go up and check to make the sure coax is tight at the dish.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Jimbo did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Jimbo did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Jimbo did! Be COOL like Jimbo and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cappy29 View Post
    The system that moved over P.A today came down from the Great lakes and so far has not packed the wallop they said it would. Now I have been with Directv just about a year now and had Dish for 13 years before and can pretty much say that I did not have this much of a problem with them. The thing that makes me think there is some sort of a problem is I heard alot of people say that Directv is slightly better when it comes to rain fade. As for the standard Def. channels I checked 1 or 2 of them and only saw the 1 go out for a few seconds and held the rest of the time. My uncle had Directv and he only lives about a hour away from me and he said he hardly ever lost his signal and he had HD. So, I am not sure what to think at this point, but I am going to go up and check to make the sure coax is tight at the dish.
    Cappy,
    You have a lot of variables here.
    First, Dish uses different technology than D* for HD.
    2nd, your Uncle and you would have to have the exact same set up to really tell anything.

Many people have very little rain fade, I am one of them, unless it's really hard downpour, I usually don't lose signal.
    Others have more issues,often it's a alignment issue, but not always.

When you lose signal next time, check your SD version.
    Lets Go Red Wings !!!

HR44-500, 2 HR24-500's, 2 HR24-100's, SL3 Dish, SWM Dish, AM21, 60" Pioneer Elite, 2 - 42" Pioneer Elite's, Sony BDP-S790

Thinking of signing up for DIRECTV? Please PM me for my DIRECTV account number and we can both save $100 on our DIRECTV bill!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast