Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Right now I hate Directv. Error code 775

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I hate Directv. Error code 775

Hr34 and H24 installed approx 4 months ago. Performance upto this point has been ok. not as good as my old Dish 722.

Today, I received an error stating "Problem communicating with dish. Press select on more info (775)"

More info basically states to check connections and power. I also reset the HR34 with no success.

Called Directv, the tech walked me through checking the power inserter. He had me disconnect the two coax and touch the copper ends, then reconnect. he the had me unplug power inserter for 30 seconds, plug back in, then reset box. No success. he then said they would have to send a tech, hopefully on Monday, likely Wednesday.

called local Directv dealer and he sold me power inserter. brought home and swapped. reset hr34, no success. followed steps above, still no success. called directv, after 20 min hold, was bluntly told I would have to wait for tech.

any ideas? was looking forward to olympic basketball.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! BobStokesbary did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, BobStokesbary did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, BobStokesbary did! Be COOL like BobStokesbary and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are some things you can check that may help solve your problem.

1. Do you only have an HR24 and HR34? If so, this gives us an idea of what kind of a SWM setup you have. (I will assume so for right now.)

2. Do both receivers give you the same message? If so, your problem is quite probably in your SWM LNB. This usually means no power to the SWM head, a bad SWM LNB or bad wiring to your SWM LNB.

3. How comfortable are you with tracing the wiring from your dish to your various locations? One of the things that would be nice to know is if the cable from whatever line is supplying the power is correctly connected to the red insert connection on your splitter. It would also be nice to know if all unused ports are terminated with small metal caps. It would also be nice to know if the line that supplies the power to your dish is over 100 feet long.

4. You need to check each of the connections and make sure they are wrench tight. If any can be turned by hand they are not tight enough. This is especially critical for the connection to the dish which can get moisture in it that would cause problems.

5. Make sure that you have the power inserter connected correctly. The to IRD side goes to your receiver.

6. Unplug each of the receivers and your Power Inserter. Plug in the power inserter and wait about 2 minutes. Next plug in your HR34 and wait until it comes up completely. Finally, plug in your HR24 and wait until it comes up completely.

7. If all this fails, wait for D* Tech.

Granted your installer should have taken note of all these things, but once in a while they get distracted and can make a mistake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BobStokesbary View Post
    There are some things you can check that may help solve your problem.

1. Do you only have an HR24 and HR34? If so, this gives us an idea of what kind of a SWM setup you have. (I will assume so for right now.)

2. Do both receivers give you the same message? If so, your problem is quite probably in your SWM LNB. This usually means no power to the SWM head, a bad SWM LNB or bad wiring to your SWM LNB.

3. How comfortable are you with tracing the wiring from your dish to your various locations? One of the things that would be nice to know is if the cable from whatever line is supplying the power is correctly connected to the red insert connection on your splitter. It would also be nice to know if all unused ports are terminated with small metal caps. It would also be nice to know if the line that supplies the power to your dish is over 100 feet long.

4. You need to check each of the connections and make sure they are wrench tight. If any can be turned by hand they are not tight enough. This is especially critical for the connection to the dish which can get moisture in it that would cause problems.

5. Make sure that you have the power inserter connected correctly. The to IRD side goes to your receiver.

6. Unplug each of the receivers and your Power Inserter. Plug in the power inserter and wait about 2 minutes. Next plug in your HR34 and wait until it comes up completely. Finally, plug in your HR24 and wait until it comes up completely.

7. If all this fails, wait for D* Tech.

Granted your installer should have taken note of all these things, but once in a while they get distracted and can make a mistake.
    1 &2. Sorry, I was wrong, I have a HR34 and H21. H34 has 775 error, H21 has 771A error code.

3. Here's some photos showing the setup.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l52/gflande1/Directv/

Basically there is two wires coming from dish mounted in backyard. at the dish end, only one is connected to lnb. other end one goes to splitter, other goes to what appears to be a ground. cable is buried, with no visible change to the ground (nothing was dug up). cable is approx 46 ft long. all connections are wrench tight. don't see a red insert, where would this be?

At outside splitter, one goes to h21 in bedroom, other goes to back of faceplate in family room (hr34). approx 35 feet from splitter to wallplate at HR34. all tight

5. Connections at power inserter appear to be correct, with one exception. Signal to IRD goes to splitter, which feeds hr34 and DECA. all connections tight.

I will try step 6 next.

Last edited by gflande1; 08-11-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Step 6 unsuccessful. same errors at both boxes.mguess I'm SOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    don't know if this helps, but when I go into satellite dish setup, it states "cannot detect SWM"

by the way, what's the purpose of SWM? can I connect directly from faceplate to HR34?

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Jimbo did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Jimbo did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Jimbo did! Be COOL like Jimbo and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gflande1 View Post
    don't know if this helps, but when I go into satellite dish setup, it states "cannot detect SWM"

by the way, what's the purpose of SWM? can I connect directly from faceplate to HR34?
    Well, thats a MAJOR step.

The SWM allows you to run everything with only 1 cable coming from the dish.
    Use to be you needed one to each side of the recvr for a DVR to record something and watch something else.

Thats only part of what the SWM is for.
    Play Ball !!!

2 HR24-500's, 2 HR24-100's, SL3 Dish, SWM Dish, AM21, 60" Pioneer Elite, 2 - 42" Pioneer Elite's, Sony BDP-S790, Seagate 1.5 TB EHD

Thinking of signing up for DIRECTV? Please PM me for my DIRECTV account number and we can both save $100 on our DIRECTV bill!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast