Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with my wireless router?

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! smokey982 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, smokey982 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, smokey982 did! Be COOL like smokey982 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like

What's wrong with my wireless router?

I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router that's worked flawlessly for several years now. But for some reason tonight I've having some wifi issues. I have a mac hardwired from the router as well as a couple other things and they all work fine. But the wifi is not working. Both my iphone and ipad show my network and both show the little wifi symbol in the top of the screen. But it's not actually working. I can't get any web pages to load and none of my apps that require a network are working. I've tried unplugging the power cord for 30 seconds which usually fixes this issue. But not tonight. Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    The radio has probably failed. I have had two 54Gs and after several years of service their radios wear out. Router function is usually independent of radios so you can continue to use the 54G as a router.

Time to replace the router and or buy an AP to connect to your 54G. To maximize radio life be sure your router or AP is in an area where it won't over heat. I keep my router and modem plugged into a small UPS so my internet stays on when the power goes out. The UPS isolates the router from power fluctuations which hopefully increases its life.

With your new router, if the software permits, set up your router to turn off the radio automatically at times of day when you won't be needing them. Also adjust the radio's power setting to be no more than you actually need for reliable service.
    Last edited by jimdandyvi; 08-17-2012 at 06:00 AM.
    VIP 211K w/external hard drive
    VIP 211 w/external hard drive
    Toshiba LCD HDTV
    LG LCD HDTV
    Slingbox Solo
    Dish 500 for 110/119

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! smokey982 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, smokey982 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, smokey982 did! Be COOL like smokey982 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well it's back(at least for now). Last night before bed it eventually started working for a short period then it would quit again. And so far this morning it's working again. If I do have to replace are there any recommendations on a new one? This one has worked well over the years. We built a screened in porch last year and it's done a good job of providing a strong wifi connection out to the porch. Although its really only about 30' or so away if you draw a straight line through walls to the porch.

LER is offline Supporter / Pub Member / Server Weenie
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Cisco E4200v1. I'd recommend the v2 or the E4500 (strong, dual band, nice).
    2xHopper w/Sling, 1xJoey/AT250-BB@Home-Locals/HD Locals
    (110,119,129)/1000.2 Dish/HIC
    Sirius Built in to 2014 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid with Sync and Nav (travel-link/Traffic)/Sirius built into 2014 Kia Sorento LX with UVO
    55" Samsung 1080P LED Smart TV (UN55F7100AF) / 42" Sharp Aquos 1080p LCD (LC-42D62U) / Samsung 32" 1080P LED Smart Tv (UN32F5500AF)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on Sprint (+Airave)/Sprint Galaxy Tab3 (16G/White). Various streaming devices/apps/etc.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Teehar did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Teehar did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Teehar did! Be COOL like Teehar and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Netgear has some nice ones.Had mine for about 3 yrs and haven't had any issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had networking issues in the past that were fixed by replacing the power adapter. Its about $8 on ebay.
    Sonicview SV-HD8000
    Visionsat IV200
    winegard 76
    sg2100
    techsat tracker 0.3db

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast