Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Thread: Adding a Joey myself

Post Thanks / Like

Adding a Joey myself

So right now I have a 1H2J system that has been up and running. From what I remember, a single Hopper can support up to three Joeys. My question is can I just buy a Joey from somewhere like eBay and set it up myself? I am fimailliar with the download process. Does it require some kind of activation from Dish and would I have to pay a 6.00 fee even though I bought it outright?

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    you can get it independently and add it to your account, but you would still pay the normal $7 per month for the joey. Doesn't matter whether the equipment is leased or owned since it's basically an outlet fee and not a lease fee.

About the only really good reason I can think for buying a joey is for use in a guest room where they can add and drop from the account as needed. Otherwise, there's little benefit to the average Dish customer to own any equipment themselves since you don't save any money.
    Last edited by sparc; 09-18-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sparc View Post
    you can get it independently and add it to your account, but you would still pay the normal $7 per month for the joey. Doesn't matter whether the equipment is leased or owned since it's basically an outlet fee and not a lease fee.

About the only really good reason I can think for buying a joey is for use in a guest room where they can add and drop from the account as needed. Otherwise, there's little benefit to the average Dish customer to own any equipment themselves since you don't save any money.
    Not really -

I've seen Dish Retailers sell Joey's at about $100/unit. I think Dish wants $250+. You save money off the purchase price but can't save any money in the long term since Dish charges outlet fees.