Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: What is DIRECTV's new GENIE?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you are missing the potential of the C31. It is very small box that does away the need for a receiver or DVR. It does the same thing as the Samsung 6000 RVU TV's. I guess RVU didn't catch on so DirecTV is pushing it as a TV attachment. The beauty is that replaces the need for a receiver/DVR. It is so small it could be taped to the back of a flat-screen. It does not use a SWM channel. It works with DECA/MRV. You can still use existing DECA/MRV capable receivers/DVR's. It will save DirecTV a bundle in equipment costs.

I think the "Genie" is a Joey, not a Hopper, and much more capable. The HR34 is required and i think is the Hopper equivalent.

These will be great in the multi-room RV world.

Manual is here which explains it much better.

http://dtvu.satinstalltraining.com/C...U_FG_FINAL.pdf

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what Genie is, Its Simple its another word for Tivo. It records shows and programs you might like based on your viewing habits. But doesn't take up any of your Hard Drive space.
    As far as them calling HR 34 Genie that I'm not sure. But its a cool feature and it has a fairly large selection preloaded at the touch of a button.
    There is no commercial skipping feature as of now.

You guys seem to be reading way more into this then there is.

They are only making this feature work with the HR 34 and C31's and not the H or HR's.

If anyone has done a CE in the past 60 days on HR34, your already aware of Genie.
    Last edited by dtro77; 09-21-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgerKing View Post
    Will it just be a software updated added to existing units or will it separate unit all together?
    It will only be on your HR 34 at this time.
    And any C31 if you order them.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Claude Greiner did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Claude Greiner did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Claude Greiner did! Be COOL like Claude Greiner and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think in a nutshell this means free HR34's for everyone.

I think the real issue is do you want...

A) Have H25's in the additional rooms and have an additional free tuner and loose the ability to pause live.

B) Put the RTU clients in each room, tie up a tuner on the HR34, but have full DVR functions.

I personally think the 5 tuners spread out over 4tv's is better than Dish networks 3 tuners over 4 tv's with prime time 24.

Also looks like new software is rolling out for the HR34, and I think the ad skipping stuff will be turned on depending on the outcome of the Dish lawsuit.

Overall a win win for Directv
    Claude Greiner

In Memory of Tiger Stadium
    April 28th 1896 - September 21st 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish DirecTV would knock off the name game. I know what an HR34 is and now know what a C31 is. I know what DECA is too. I have VOD, PPV, MRV, TV Apps, Pandora, and YouTube via a "white" DECA box I DON'T know what a CCK is. I don't have one and evidently don't need one. I think it is dumb name for a different color DECA box just like HMC is dumb name for an HR34. They confuse me. And, I still don't now what a "Genie" is. A device? A system? I wish they would put it back in the bottle. Hopper? Joey? Stupid?

I should add SWM, or SWiM, or what ever those consumer confusing setups are called. I understand those too but not by name but by how many terminals are coming off the dish head.

I seek clarity. Look at my Avatar. What head is it? How would a consumer ever know? It is a DirecTV SWM SL3. What dish is it? I painted over the "Dish Turbo HD" and stuck on a DirecTV decal. I didn't want to confuse the consumer.
    Last edited by schneid; 09-22-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! ZandarKoad did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, ZandarKoad did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, ZandarKoad did! Be COOL like ZandarKoad and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: I don't own a TV, much less a Playstation.
    Quote Originally Posted by msmith198025 View Post
    You can record any three shows at one time.

Edit: I assume you mean with the Hopper.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    During prime time, you can only record two shows at once, besides the four major networks selected by Dish. Unless you can turn off PTAT, which I didn't think you could.

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast