Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: What is DIRECTV's new GENIE?

Post Thanks / Like
    "Alexander Doak, owner of Spectra Stars."

"Less than 1% of all high definition televisions are actually showing true 1080."

And is that 1080i or 1080p and was it from a compressed signal?

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! lparsons21 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, lparsons21 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, lparsons21 did! Be COOL like lparsons21 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude Greiner View Post
    I think in a nutshell this means free HR34's for everyone.

I think the real issue is do you want...

A) Have H25's in the additional rooms and have an additional free tuner and loose the ability to pause live.

B) Put the RTU clients in each room, tie up a tuner on the HR34, but have full DVR functions.

I personally think the 5 tuners spread out over 4tv's is better than Dish networks 3 tuners over 4 tv's with prime time 24.

Also looks like new software is rolling out for the HR34, and I think the ad skipping stuff will be turned on depending on the outcome of the Dish lawsuit.

Overall a win win for Directv
    It all depends on when the contentions are an issue. If it is like it is for me, the contentions that are harder to deal with are broadcast since they tend not to repeat real soon. So if you have a Hopper using PTAT, you still have 2 tuners for something else. With the HR34, you only have one tuner left to watch/record something other than the 4 broadcast. Outside of prime time, the HR34 wins hands down though.

I have 2 of my HR24s hooked to one TV so I can have all 4 broadcast recording at the same time when I need it, otherwise it is generally overkill.

From my POV, both the Hopper/Joey and the HR34/C31s would be winners and certainly gives both D* and E* some marketing fluff to put in ads!
    Lloyd
    Receiver : DirecTV Genie(HR44), Dish HWS
    HDTV : Mitsibushi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP

Thinking about DirecTV?? If you want to save you and I $100, PM me for my account number and phone number to call and sign up!

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! lparsons21 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, lparsons21 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, lparsons21 did! Be COOL like lparsons21 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZandarKoad View Post
    During prime time, you can only record two shows at once, besides the four major networks selected by Dish. Unless you can turn off PTAT, which I didn't think you could.
    You can turn off PTAT.
    Lloyd

Thinking about DirecTV?? If you want to save you and I $100, PM me for my account number and phone number to call and sign up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schneid View Post

"Less than 1% of all high definition televisions are actually showing true 1080."

I know that I use 720p on my 1080p plasma for everything except 1080p source and that is because the AVR I use has a very good video massager built in that only goes to 720p, otherwise it is a bypass. I fiddled extensively with 1080i and 720p from the HR and found that the HR@720p via my Harman Kardon AVR produced the overall best picture.
    Lloyd

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! ZandarKoad did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, ZandarKoad did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, ZandarKoad did! Be COOL like ZandarKoad and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: I don't own a TV, much less a Playstation.
    Quote Originally Posted by schneid View Post

The biggest reason full 1080 (either i or p) isn't being seen on so many televisions is because of something called "overscan" (different manufacturers use different names). Overscan is a default setting on nearly every TV, and on some models is almost impossible to turn off. It's not really about your media source or compression methods.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Jimbo did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Jimbo did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Jimbo did! Be COOL like Jimbo and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post
    It all depends on when the contentions are an issue. If it is like it is for me, the contentions that are harder to deal with are broadcast since they tend not to repeat real soon. So if you have a Hopper using PTAT, you still have 2 tuners for something else. With the HR34, you only have one tuner left to watch/record something other than the 4 broadcast. Outside of prime time, the HR34 wins hands down though.

I have 2 of my HR24s hooked to one TV so I can have all 4 broadcast recording at the same time when I need it, otherwise it is generally overkill.

From my POV, both the Hopper/Joey and the HR34/C31s would be winners and certainly gives both D* and E* some marketing fluff to put in ads!
    Why does ANYONE have a need to Record all 4 MAJOR networks at the same time ... ?

Everyone knows NBC has NOTHING on it ...

Just don't see a need to Record all the Primetime showings in the first place.
    Lets Go Red Wings !!!

HR44-500, 2 HR24-500's, 2 HR24-100's, SL3 Dish, SWM Dish, AM21, 60" Pioneer Elite, 2 - 42" Pioneer Elite's, Sony BDP-S790

Thinking of signing up for DIRECTV? Please PM me for my DIRECTV account number and we can both save $100 on our DIRECTV bill!

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast