Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Making an 18 inch Satellite dish into a long range WiFi antenna

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! jamescbarrow did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, jamescbarrow did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, jamescbarrow did! Be COOL like jamescbarrow and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah i would like to see pictures of it.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Stargazer did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Stargazer did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Stargazer did! Be COOL like Stargazer and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of the wifi providers will use a flat panel antenna with the radio built inside the box. The parabolic dishes are better in that they concentrate the signal and rejects noise.

digiblur is offline Proud Staff Member
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    A lot of the wifi providers will use a flat panel antenna with the radio built inside the box. The parabolic dishes are better in that they concentrate the signal and rejects noise.
    Parabolics is just over kill for 1000 ft. Mount these under the eave of the house and point them. So simple, nothing to bootleg rig up, etc. Very reliable and super easy.

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nanos...=ubiquiti+loco

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Stargazer did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Stargazer did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Stargazer did! Be COOL like Stargazer and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, parabolics are overkill for short distances. Panels like whats in the ubiquiti units are fine for that. I have used some of the Ubiquiti's in the past and they are great for their price point. Ubiquiti makes a small parabolic antenna/radio as well.

digiblur is offline Proud Staff Member
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Making an 18 inch Satellite dish into a long range WiFi antenna

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    Yes, parabolics are overkill for short distances. Panels like whats in the ubiquiti units are fine for that. I have used some of the Ubiquiti's in the past and they are great for their price point. Ubiquiti makes a small parabolic antenna/radio as well.
    Yes and they have some massive parabolic antennas as well.

I have used Engenius products, modded linksys, etc and stumbled upon ubiquiti and wow. They have some impressive products that still amaze me today on how well some of these wifi links work.

The ubiquiti forums are great. Lots of wisps there with some amazing pictures of crazy links with what seem to be perfect signals. And just can't beat the price of the equipment.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was in the biz, Tranzeo, High Gain Antennas and Deliberant were king, before Ubiquiti came out. We just started getting into Ubiquiti before I got out because of their price and the cool things they done with the software. Deliberant has come out with some cheap items this past year to compete as well. Even the antenna manufacturer Arc has gotten into the game with some cheap products. I've had some crazy links in the past that have worked well.

I go to DSLReports a bit and once in a while to the Ubiquiti forums. Been waiting on the white spaces for a while to see how that will work out for them using the old analog television spectrum.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast