Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking TV program to other areas of a house

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, FaTAir, SatAV, Radar, gpflepsen, and phlatwound for your valuable inputs, some are more complicated than others, but I really like something very simple (I realize that with too much simplicity, things would not be feasible). I just tried to substitute hard-wired connection between satellite receiver (Out-to TV) to TV (antenna in) with Over The Air signal (I realize real OTA has digital structure, therefore my comparison is rather an analogy). Somehow, years ago, TV functioned using VHS channels, where channel 3 was in the range of 60 to 70 MHZ, and channel 4 was - maybe - in the range of 70 to 80 MHZ. As my small LCD TV still has the ability to receive analog signal, I tried to build a small one transistor amplifier for the "out-to-TV" output, hooked up a piece of wire to the transistor's collector, and plugged similar wire into my small TV antenna input, however, the "transmission" worked - unreliably - within a few inches between the wires, but failed at longer distance. Obviously, there was not enough power. Maybe I should try to increase the power, taking risk that CRTC will knock on my door. Cabling the house is not an option, like someone said in Radar's thread (preferring $50 computer to wiring). So, I guess, this case needs some more trials and time. Cheers, polgyver

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago, when I had my own place, I bought a "Leapfrog" wireless A/V system combined with an AVERkey computer signal demodulator. I was able to transmit everything from my computer screen in my office to my living room in not-so-stunning and illegible SD. Still, it allowed me to watch on my TV what few streaming TV stations were on the Internet at the time and record some of the programs on my VCR.

I found that old equipment last year and thought I'd plug it up to see how it works. Not so good these days. Back in the day, very few things were wireless -- maybe your telephone, and that was it. Now with different frequencies being used for telephones and routers, it plays havoc with the older technology. The results were a constant "pip pip pip pip" audio (probably from the wireless Internet), and 8 times out of 10, a lot of analogue video static which was also probably from the barrage of radio waves in the home. So, even if you were to find one of those systems, you'll probably be very disappointed with the results.

Edit: I just saw phlatwound's post about the x10 -- looks like the companies have changed the frequency used, so perhaps it could still work. But you'd still need to check what frequencies your cordless phone and wireless router throws out to be sure there aren't any frequency collisions! (My Leapfrog says it transmitted on the 2.4 Ghz frequency -- a very common wireless frequency these days!)

Last edited by northgeorgia; 12-31-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12