Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharp Aquos and 5.1 Surround

Post Thanks / Like

Sharp Aquos and 5.1 Surround

Last year I got a new Aquos 55 inch HDTV to replace my old set. At the time I didn't have room to reconnect my RCA RT2360 surround amplifier. This year I got a new media cabinet, and I decided to reconnect my surround system. I was dismayed that the TOSLink output on the TV only outputs Pro Logic and not 5.1 and my surround amp doesn't have an HDMI input, so I hooked the TOSLink straight to my Dish 722 receiver. Great sound, but the picture is out of sync with the sound.

After some reading, I determined that the Aquos took a few milliseconds to decode the digital video signal; throwing it out of sync with the source audio. The RCA surround has very limited sound delay capabilities (not enough to re-sync the sound). I really like the old RCA setup, and I don't want to spend another few hundred dollars on a new surround system. Does anyone have any ideas that I can use to help solve my problem?

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

teachsac is online now Proud Staff Member
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    99% of TVs only output stereo from external sources. TVs only output 5.1 from internal sources. This is not unique to Sharp. SInce your receiver doesn't have HDMI, run HDMI to your TV when you don't want to use surround sound. Then run Component and optical to the receiver and out to your TV when you do use surround sound. Anytime you split the source, you are likely to end up with sync issues. You won't lose anything since nothing, except PPV, is 1080p.

S~

Post Thanks / Like
    After digging some more I think that I may have a $40 solution. ViewHD makes a HDMI to HDMI + SPDIF(PCM 5.1) converter/extractor. Since the HDMI out on the back of the TV should have the Video and Audio in sync, I should be able to split this with the converter and run it to the input on the surround. Anyone foresee a problem with this?

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    What model? I have never seen an HDMI out from the TV.

S~

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I misread the instruction manual. What I was referring to was an HDMI port with an audio return channel. I don't think it will work with this device. I'll try the component and optical approach above to see what happens.

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, You need an HDMI receiver with ARC and I don't believe the 722 supports ARC, either. Best setup is the one I posted above. Similar to what I do, except opposite. I run Component and Optical to my TV when I don't need Surround. I run HDMI through my receiver and out to the TV for when I do.

S~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast