Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about upgrading my OLD system to include TBS5922 USB tuner, any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as your willing to post logs when you get yourself into trouble Im sure me and others here can help you out

Remember the 7500 will work just fine out of box, just wont have blind search or spectrum scanning. If those are features you want then you can attempt the compiling of the custom kernel modules.

UDL
    DM800
    TBS5980, TBS6925, Prof 7301, Prof 7500, Prof 8000, Skystar 2 Express HD, Genpix Skwalker-1
    Kworld 330U, Kworld 435v3, Kworld 445v3, Hauppauge 950Q
    Digiwave 5ft, Titanium ASC1 & C1PLL

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    Just as an update, I found
    this page which describes installing and using the TBS 6925 PC Card

with MythTV. But this is a card (and a much more high-end one at that) than the USB device I was looking at, and the repurposed Mac Mini I am using as a backend won't accept cards, and I am not sure if these instructions are applicable with the USB devices. There is an equivalent USB device at a similar price (the TBS 5925) but as far as I can tell the only thing you get in that card is the ability to receive 16PSK and 32PSK formats, and I don't think there are any Free-To-Air services using those formats in North America (am I wrong?), so I don't see any advantage in getting a TBS 5925 over the much less expensive TBS 5922 am I missing something?

I still can't find any instructions anywhere about using a Prof 7500 with MythTV, nor anything that says its supported under MythTV, so even if I were deeply concerned about open vs. closed source (and frankly, I'm not as long as it works) I would still be more inclined to get the device that actually advertises MythTV support, and the TBS products do. I don't want to buy a card JUST because it is open source and then have to depend on one or two guys to keep it updated, or have to struggle to get it to work with MythTV (and just to be clear, I ONLY care that it works with MythTV and Mythbuntu at this point - I don't care if it works with 100 other types of software; I don't plan on using any of those). It would be different if there was some issue with TBS' reputation but so far I have yet to read anything truly negative about them.

Those USB DVB-S2 tuners are like the invisible devices as far as MythTV is concerned - if anyone has successfully used one with MythTV/Mythbuntu, they don't seem to be posting that information anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 6925 (and I think 5925 but cant confirm) support 16/32psk as well as ACM/VCM where other cards dont (there is an even more expensive commercial netup card that does as well I hear)

Have you tried Rick Caylor's site? There are lots of Linux users over there.

You can post on the TBS forum too, they have linux sections dedicated to each card they sell.

UDL

DM800
    TBS5980, TBS6925, Prof 7301, Prof 7500, Prof 8000, Skystar 2 Express HD, Genpix Skwalker-1
    Kworld 330U, Kworld 435v3, Kworld 445v3, Hauppauge 950Q
    Digiwave 5ft, Titanium ASC1 & C1PLL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12