Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Static IP address required for DishOnline?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcl26554 View Post
    I just got off the Dish Chat line and was asking about not being able to delete programs I have watched using Dish Online. They told me one of the requirements for DOL was to have a static IP address, and that it was a free option with most ISP? As far as I understand both statements are false. That is, you don't need a static IP address an and they are not a free option.
    Does anybody know for certain about this?
    Were they talking about a static IP on your WAN or LAN?

While a static IP on your WAN is usually an extra charge and therefore not very common for most residential internet accounts, giving a device a static IP on your LAN is often necessary if port forwarding or other special services are needed. Assigning static, permanent, or a reserved IP is handled by the end user's router. For my SlingBox to stream over the internet requires that I forward all requests to service port 5001 to the SlingBox. The only way to do this automatically everytime the router/and or the Slingbox boots up is to assign it a STATIC IP on my LAN which I do using my router.

Giving the tech support person the benefit of the doubt perhaps something similar is required so you can access your Dish receiver from the WAN.

VIP 211K w/external hard drive
    VIP 211 w/external hard drive
    Toshiba LCD HDTV
    LG LCD HDTV
    Slingbox Solo
    Dish 500 for 110/119

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! lucky86 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, lucky86 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, lucky86 did! Be COOL like lucky86 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: #xbox4life
    It doesn't require a static IP, the rep was just wrong. Static IP works with dish equipment and dish online but I believe the reps are told dynamic only because it's more simple to troubleshoot or so the thinking is I believe. I know for a fact that agents are not taught that dishonline.com requires a static IP,so I have no idea why they would say that unless they didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Foxbat did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Foxbat did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Foxbat did! Be COOL like Foxbat and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a DIRT response would help clear this up.

That said, I'm pretty anal when it comes to my home LAN so all of my equipment has fixed IP addresses assigned via DHCP reservations on my router. My ViP 722 has the IP address a.b.c.22, my ViP 211 is a.b.c.11, my HP LaserJet CP1518 is a.b.c.18, and so on. Like I said, pretty anal of me!

Scott Greczkowski is online now HERE TO HELP YOU!
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: scottct1
    A static IP address is not needed. A majority of people who use DISH online do not have static ip's
    Scott

Thinking about signing up for DISH? Use one of these codes and we BOTH save $50! - HOP019897404 - AHP046085712 - HOP017098428 THANK YOU!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimdandyvi View Post
    Were they talking about a static IP on your WAN or LAN?

While a static IP on your WAN is usually an extra charge and therefore not very common for most residential internet accounts, giving a device a static IP on your LAN is often necessary if port forwarding or other special services are needed. Assigning static, permanent, or a reserved IP is handled by the end user's router. For my SlingBox to stream over the internet requires that I forward all requests to service port 5001 to the SlingBox. The only way to do this automatically everytime the router/and or the Slingbox boots up is to assign it a STATIC IP on my LAN which I do using my router.

Giving the tech support person the benefit of the doubt perhaps something similar is required so you can access your Dish receiver from the WAN.
    He was most definitely talking about WAN (IP address supplied by the ISP) He even gave me a list of ISP's who supply a static IP address for home use free of charge. One of the ones was my ISP Comcast. I verified with them that home internet service cannot have a static IP address, must be a business account which is much more money. So he was wrong on a lot of fronts.
    Michael

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Bobby did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Bobby did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Bobby did! Be COOL like Bobby and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski View Post
    A static IP address is not needed. A majority of people who use DISH online do not have static ip's
    I had a static IP with AT&T and online worked just fine, but slowly. Since I moved to Comcast without a static IP it still works just fine but extremely faster....
    Bobby

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast