Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Thread: Comast Speed Boost

Post Thanks / Like

Comast Speed Boost

Has anyone else that has Xfinity Internet get a speed boost? I have the performance level of service and before the upgrade I was testing at about 25 down and 3-4 up. After the upgrade I'm testing at between 40-60 (usually in the upper 40s) down and 5-6 up. Just wondering what other people had and were experiencing.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys
    722k and 211k with AT200
    1000.4 EA

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't seen it yet. My service speed is suppose to be 16M, but I often see 20 to 25M

rockymtnhigh is online now Just Ask for Help!
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got an email saying my Extreme 50 was being doubled to up to 105MB. It said to disconnect the modem and router for 30 seconds and re-connect. I did that, and my speeds went from 60 to 75MB. Heck, close to the router, I was getting 50MB from wifi. Impressive.

Herding Cats since 2007.

Dish: Vip722, 4.5 TB of External HDDs, Dish 1000.2, America 200 w/locals, Sony KDL-40XBR4 LCD, Apple TV, Toshiba HD A20 HD DVD, Sony BD player, Denon AVR 1310 Receiver, Infinity sound.
    HT Room: 106" Screen, Mitsi HC1500 720P projector, Dish vip722, Toshiba HD A2 HD DVD; Sony BDP-BX1 BD, Denon AVR788 7.1 receiver; Slingbox HD Pro.

Other: iPad (3rd gen); iPhone 5; 13" core -i5 MacBook Air (2011 model), 13" core i7 Macbook pro (spring 2011), Dell W7 PC

Follow me on twitter @rockymtnhigh , Email: rocky @ satelliteguys.us

PM ME if you'd like a $50 credit when starting a new Dish Network account (and I'll get the same off my bill).

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    I too received an email from Xfinity telling me that they had increased internet speed to 30-50Mbps in my area of SE MIchigan. I had to upgrade my modem to a doc sis 3 but still could not achieve the speeds promised. Contacted Comcast and tech replaced drop cable from pole to house and told me I needed a faster router and to trip branches away from drop cable. Bought a new Netgear 300+ Mbps dual band router - trimmed any interfering branches. Still only getting 11-14Mbps. Comcast chat reps were not able to increase speed by tweeking the modem and powercycling it several times. I was disappointed and frustrated. I searched Google for causes of slow speeds and came across an article that suggested that the firewall and/r the antivirus program could be the culprit(s). The firewall shutdown did nothing but when I turned off Avast free antivirus my speeds increased into the 30 to 48 Mbps range! I mention this for others that are not getting the speed promised.

Now I have to try to find an antivirus program that will not suppress the bandwidth speed.

Frank

rockymtnhigh is online now Just Ask for Help!
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fdm2000 View Post
    I too received an email from Xfinity telling me that they had increased internet speed to 30-50Mbps in my area of SE MIchigan. I had to upgrade my modem to a doc sis 3 but still could not achieve the speeds promised. Contacted Comcast and tech replaced drop cable from pole to house and told me I needed a faster router and to trip branches away from drop cable. Bought a new Netgear 300+ Mbps dual band router - trimmed any interfering branches. Still only getting 11-14Mbps. Comcast chat reps were not able to increase speed by tweeking the modem and powercycling it several times. I was disappointed and frustrated. I searched Google for causes of slow speeds and came across an article that suggested that the firewall and/r the antivirus program could be the culprit(s). The firewall shutdown did nothing but when I turned off Avast free antivirus my speeds increased into the 30 to 48 Mbps range! I mention this for others that are not getting the speed promised.

Now I have to try to find an antivirus program that will not suppress the bandwidth speed.

Frank
    Wow - an expensive route to get better bandwidth when the culprit was software! Other thing to realize is that wired connections will always do much better than wireless. I'll routinely get 75MB on wired, and 40-45 on wireless. Although it is so dependent on time of day and usage patterns. Just ran tests and only got 11MB on wireless. But the important thing for me is if my service is uninterrupted and I can stream HD with no problems or delays.

Herding Cats since 2007.

Dish: Vip722, 4.5 TB of External HDDs, Dish 1000.2, America 200 w/locals, Sony KDL-40XBR4 LCD, Apple TV, Toshiba HD A20 HD DVD, Sony BD player, Denon AVR 1310 Receiver, Infinity sound.
    HT Room: 106" Screen, Mitsi HC1500 720P projector, Dish vip722, Toshiba HD A2 HD DVD; Sony BDP-BX1 BD, Denon AVR788 7.1 receiver; Slingbox HD Pro.

Other: iPad (3rd gen); iPhone 5; 13" core -i5 MacBook Air (2011 model), 13" core i7 Macbook pro (spring 2011), Dell W7 PC

Follow me on twitter @rockymtnhigh , Email: rocky @ satelliteguys.us

PM ME if you'd like a $50 credit when starting a new Dish Network account (and I'll get the same off my bill).