Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Thread: Dumb Question. But I need to ask

Post Thanks / Like

Dumb Question. But I need to ask

18 years ago I use to have a large dish with a Drake ESR receiver with a VCII unit. It was great. Especially having alacart programming. Now, I only see DISH, DTV or FTA. I heard 4DTV is dead and not worth investing into.

Having said that, I have been out of the scene for quite sometime. Is there a replacement technology to the old big dish, Drake, Toshiba, GI, etc receivers that let me have alacart programming? I'm tired of the 400 channel packages when I only want a few. I also hear that the FTA stuff is really buggy and made mainly in Asia. I wouldn't mind stuff made in Japan. I would like a good reliable solid solution.

Sorry to ask and old question. But I'm getting old

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! FaT Air did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, FaT Air did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, FaT Air did! Be COOL like FaT Air and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Q - Is there a replacement technology to the old big dish, - - that let me have alacart programming?
    A - No. FTA isn't an alternate means to subscribe to 'cable' fare.
    HITs(DCII) is still is available, but it's believed that the days are numbered and receivers aren't readily available.
    Rumors have it that something new May Be available in the near future,-Please stand by - - -
    A2 - FTA is pretty alacart though. Take a look at
    TheList

(link on every page) and/or Mikes list at
    Mpeg Central

A
    good reliable solid solution -
    SatelliteAV's Geosat Pro microHD was designed with input from this forum and there's a forum area for support here.
    to Satelliteguys

Last edited by FaT Air; 03-03-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    One night I walked home very late and fell asleep in somebody's satellite dish.My dreams were showing up on TV's all over the world. -- Steven Wright
    Openbox S9, Pansat 3500SD, 139w to 55.5W +30W
    10Ft USS Steel BUD and an assortment of ChannelMaster dishes, (1)84e, (2).7m, (2)1.2m,(1)1.0M, (1)2.4m[8ft] offset in storage.