Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New install: RG6/U or RG6/U Quad shielded? 110ft run

Post Thanks / Like

New install: RG6/U or RG6/U Quad shielded? 110ft run

HI all,

We're getting a DVR625 w/ the DISH500 dish, but we will have to put it on a pole about 110ft from the receiver. The standard free install won't do the cable part, so I'm doing that.

Question is: For the run, do I want RG6/U or RG6/U Quad shielded?

I'm wondering just how much signal loss one vs. the other would show on a ballpark idea. I'm running two lines, so I'd get a 250ft spool of one them, one runs 39.99, and the other runs 69.99 (quad). I'd be putting connectors on the ends; it's bulk wire. Says made by Zenith on both of them (Lowes).

That being said, is it honestly worth the price differential for that length of a run, the quad over the regular?

Thank you for any help.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! TYORK did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, TYORK did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, TYORK did! Be COOL like TYORK and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape
    HI all,

We're getting a DVR625 w/ the DISH500 dish, but we will have to put it on a pole about 110ft from the receiver. The standard free install won't do the cable part, so I'm doing that.

Question is: For the run, do I want RG6/U or RG6/U Quad shielded?

I'm wondering just how much signal loss one vs. the other would show on a ballpark idea. I'm running two lines, so I'd get a 250ft spool of one them, one runs 39.99, and the other runs 69.99 (quad). I'd be putting connectors on the ends; it's bulk wire. Says made by Zenith on both of them (Lowes).

That being said, is it honestly worth the price differential for that length of a run, the quad over the regular?

Thank you for any help.
    I would say no but are you sure that your wire is not cover in you install it is usally 125ft per run you may have to put the pole in and bury the cable but your cable should be covered. Depending i quess how you got your install from.

t

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, thinking about it I might want to double check, as the guy I talked to on the phone said they "would'nt get involved in any cable burying".. I'll have to check and see, but I bet if they supply the cable (and let me bury), it won't be quad shielded.. Been trying the search here and seems like things are evenly split between the quad and regular..

thanks for the thought about them supplying it.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the early days of satellite and with Primestar, they used direct burial cable. It is a special cable that is filled with a gel that prevents the migration of water into the end or any cut or breach of the outer jacket. The best stuff also has a HDPE or high density polyethylene jacket that is imprevious to water and the acids present in tree or plant root tips.

Almost no local install dealer or satellite company uses this stuff anymore. They choose only to bury regular coax. It will last the warranty period and a little longer. That's all they care about.

I do high end installs. As far as I know; I am the only local installer who uses this high end cable.

Post Thanks / Like
    The local dnsc offices here in NC use flooded orange dual cable with messenger, I dont know anyone else here who does that for a free install. That cable from lowes is crap, have your installer use his cable and bury it yourself, E* expects us to do pole mounts and 50ft of burial for free here, so I cant imagine it could be very different there. I would tell the company who told you they dony get involved in burying cable to shove it.

Post Thanks / Like
    All orange flooded cable is vinyl insulated. The black HDPE stuff is much more resistant to damage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast