Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hopper Internal Replacement Drive List

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! BBCInc did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, BBCInc did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, BBCInc did! Be COOL like BBCInc and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopper Internal Replacement Drive List

First some caveats... I know the Hopper is fairly new, most are leased, and it's easy to get a replacement from Dish whether owned or leased. I bought a HWS and want to be proactive by setting aside a replacement internal hard drive now while they're still available on the market (admittedly conjecture, but 722 and 722k replacement drives are very scarce now and as I said, I want to be proactive). I have had bad experience with the quality of Dish refurbs and estimate that after the a year has passed without failure that 5 or so years down the road the most likely point of failure for my Hopper will be the hard drive. I don't want to take the risk of getting an otherwise defective refurb should I experience a diagnosable hard drive failure with my current non-refurbed unit.

What I've learned by Googling is that the hard drive used in the Hopper and HWS is likely a 2TB Seagate Pipeline hard drive. No specific model number has surfaced. Looking online for that generic drive spec leads to only sale listings stating this drive has been discontinued.

So, finally!, my question is whether there is any expertise out there as to available hard drive models that will serve as workable (I know the Dish Hopper firmware will only recognize certain drives) spares for my HWS internal drive?

Not affiliated...

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! dwarren2 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, dwarren2 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, dwarren2 did! Be COOL like dwarren2 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    If your worried about the internal HD crashing, just move all your recordings to an ehd as you record them, Then if your Hopper dies, you will still have access to all your recordings. Trying to replace an internal drive will void any warrantee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even if the Hopper is owned, Dish will replace it very quickly. I wouldn't be concerned about replacing an Internal Hard Drive, let alone having one on hand as a replacement.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Bobby did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Bobby did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Bobby did! Be COOL like Bobby and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by garys View Post
    Even if the Hopper is owned, Dish will replace it very quickly. I wouldn't be concerned about replacing an Internal Hard Drive, let alone having one on hand as a replacement.
    Unless your name is Haller...
    Bobby

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! TheKrell did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, TheKrell did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, TheKrell did! Be COOL like TheKrell and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a list available for DVR receivers prior to the Hopper over on the Yahoo group DishMod. But I have not seen the list updated any time recently, and definitely saw no mention of suitable disks for the Hopper in email messages themselves. Good luck!

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! DWS44 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, DWS44 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, DWS44 did! Be COOL like DWS44 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just trying to imagine keeping the same Dish receiver for 5+ years.
    A Houseful of Samsung TVs - 55" 8500 Series LED LCD | 32" 5500 Series LED LCD | 32" LN32A450 LCD | Dish Network 1K.4/Eastern Arc | 1 Hopper w/ Sling - 1 Super Joey - 1 Original Joey | SilverSensor ZHD-TV1 OTA Antennas

OK...now the Hopper's PROTECTED ICONS are making cameos on the info screen...can we PLEASE put them back where they BELONG?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast