Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new Install Questions Mini Genie in camper

Post Thanks / Like

new Install Questions Mini Genie in camper

I am coming from Dish Network. I called to request service for 4 TVs. I wanted a Genie, 2 Mini Genies, and a HD Receiver. The HD receiver would be used in our camper during the summer when we go up-north. The customer service rep insisted that Mini receiver is the same as a standard HD receiver and we should have no issues using it without the Genie.

I have a few questions.
    1. Is what the customer service rep saying is true? We will not be able to try it in the camper until Memorial Day weekend?
    2. What kind of dish is needed? I was assured that any dish would work. I know the dish up north has 4 lines that come off it. Two go to my in laws cabin, one to my sil Camper and one to our camper.
    3. Do you need Internet service for the Mini Genie to work? We will not have that up north.

I had done my research and thought a regular HD receiver would make the most sense and be the easiest set-up. Directv is insisting on a Genie and 3 Mini clients. I am fine paying just need to make sure the set-up will work.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    If by Mini-genie you mean the C31 client, it can't work without the Genie.
    HR23-700, HR24-500/AM21, Samsung UN46C6500

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Iceberg did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Iceberg did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Iceberg did! Be COOL like Iceberg and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. The HD receiver and the mini client are 2 different things......the HD receiver has a tuner in it, the client does not. Pay the extra $99 for the HD receiver
    2. If you want HD you will need a slimline dish (it says slimline right on it).. If that is already there then all you will need extra is a BBC converter. It hooks on the line right before the receiver and gets the HD channels properly (on the grounds the dish is aimed right)
    3. no
    FOLLOW THE BUZZARDS.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
    1. The HD receiver and the mini client are 2 different things......the HD receiver has a tuner in it, the client does not. Pay the extra $99 for the HD receiver
    2. If you want HD you will need a slimline dish (it says slimline right on it).. If that is already there then all you will need extra is a BBC converter. It hooks on the line right before the receiver and gets the HD channels properly (on the grounds the dish is aimed right)
    3. no
    If he gets an H25 when they set him up, he will need a SWM lnb for the camper. I also assume that he has a Dish Network dish at the camper and not a Directv dish. So a DN dish will not work at all.
    HMC Server aka HR34 & 3 HR25's Broadband Deca
    Slimline with SWM5
    LG 55LS4500
    Sony 32" Bravia
    Sony KDF-42A10 42"LCD HDMI
    Mitsubishi VS-50111 50" Rear Projection
    Home Theather - To much to list

Post Thanks / Like
    So to recap, for your home install you absolutely want a genie, two clients, and a hd receiver for your four tvs, this is provided you eventually want to take one box camping with you. As for which dish you need for the camping trip that depends on exactly which receiver you are installed at your home with, and what dish you have "up north" now, if this is dish network or something fta or bell since im assuming up north is canada, you need a new dish, if its a dtv dish, well again until your home setup is installed theres no way of knowing which dish to recommend. We need the exact model of your hd box.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
    To obtain, something of equal value must first be lost.
    That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
    In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only truth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay what I was told last night by Directv is wrong. The rep went to his manager twice trying to add it and then he the manager came on insisting we could just take the client and its the same as a receiver? I am pissed right now. Not a good welcoming at all.

okay so I am not sure what dish is up north it is my in laws system. It is Direct tv. They currently have a Directv dish with 4 lines coming off only 3 are being used so we could use the forth. In the past we have just used the antenna and got 2 channels and would like more.

does anyone know what dish is up north? Can we get a Sd receiver or an HD receiver and have them work up north? We will not be switching the dish up north so what I go with for the 4th tv I need to make sure it will work with their system setup.

we tried the dish network tailgater last year and couldn't get a signal as it is in the north woods. The directv installer they had had issues with getting a signal but eventually found a spot after workings it to separate times.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast