Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: wireless joeys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Stargazer did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Stargazer did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Stargazer did! Be COOL like Stargazer and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used dishonline while I was at home which at that point uses your home network and it done a great job. I assume that wireless joeys would use more bandwidth than dishonline?

You could put your hopper/joey system on a different network if it is a concern. There was a thread a while back about the wireless joeys where someone showed how much bandwidth it used up. I think anybody with wireless n 100 MB or higher would see no issues at all.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! charlesrshell did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, charlesrshell did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, charlesrshell did! Be COOL like charlesrshell and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimdandyvi View Post
    Depends on how you use your network, how you connect Ethernet vs WiFi and if you have a spare $170 for a new router.

If you have a NAS and move large files around your LAN including uncompressed HD video and you have multiple devices connected to your LAN at the same time probably yes.

If you connect using Ethernet cables for reliable high speed data connections and you have multiple simultaneous users particularly if they are doing P2P file shares yes. Your current E3000 has four gigabyte LAN ports so it is no laggard. If you use WiFi mostly and your internet download speed is less than 30Mbps probably no need to upgrade.

I currently use my E3000 as a secondary AP running tomato to host my VPN connection and I have no complaints or problems with its speed. It runs behind an ASUS N66U running Merlin's customized firmware. I bought the ASUS not for the increased throughput it offers, but for its other features including the superior WiFi coverage on the 2.4Ghz band.
    OK, thanks jimdandyvi. We donít have a NAS and donít move large files around. Connected by Cat5 are four Hoppers, one Joey, one external SlingBox Pro, two TVs, one AV receiver, three computers (two or shut down most of the time), one printer, Blue Ray Player, and a XBOX. Donít have that much wireless things. Three smartphones, two lap tops, note pad, and three printers. We never use the Apps for the two TVs, the two AV receivers, and the Hoppers. Kid plays the hell out of the XBOX. Does that use much bandwidth? What specs should I look for in a router? I kinda favor Cisco or Linksys products. Thanks again for all your help. I am not too much up to speed when it comes to networking.
    Dish 1000+ / Dish 500 / SIRIUS Radio / OTA Terrestrial Digital DB4 / 26 dB Pre-Amp / Slingbox 500 / RF Modulatorsx3
    119 / 110 / 129 / 118.7 / DPP44x2 / Duo Nodex2 / Hopper w/Slingx4 / Joeyx1 / 500G WD My DVR Expander EHDx2
    AEP HD / Xtsy / Multi-Sport / Blockbuster@Home / International Basic / Italian Raitalia / Heartland / Outdoor Sports
    55" Samsung HD LED / 50" Panasonic HD Plasma / 50" Vizio HD LED / 40" Samsung HD LED / 32" Vizio HD LCD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesrshell View Post
    OK, thanks jimdandyvi. We don’t have a NAS and don’t move large files around. Connected by Cat5 are four Hoppers, one Joey, one external SlingBox Pro, two TVs, one AV receiver, three computers (two or shut down most of the time), one printer, Blue Ray Player, and a XBOX. Don’t have that much wireless things. Three smartphones, two lap tops, note pad, and three printers. We never use the Apps for the two TVs, the two AV receivers, and the Hoppers. Kid plays the hell out of the XBOX. Does that use much bandwidth? What specs should I look for in a router? I kinda favor Cisco or Linksys products. Thanks again for all your help. I am not too much up to speed when it comes to networking.
    The E3000 is still a good piece of equipment and retained in your network as an additional AP/Switch

Go to Small Network Builders and look at their ranking charts and router reviews. No router is perfect in every category.

Then set your new router up for your network. Once it is working add your old E3000 to your network and use it for added WiFi coverage and to provide three additional Ethernet ports.

There are simple straight forward instructions on how to to this on the SNB web site.
    VIP 211K w/external hard drive
    VIP 211 w/external hard drive
    Toshiba LCD HDTV
    LG LCD HDTV
    Slingbox Solo
    Dish 500 for 110/119

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! charlesrshell did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, charlesrshell did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, charlesrshell did! Be COOL like charlesrshell and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    The E3000 is still a good piece of equipment and retained in your network as an additional AP/Switch

Go to Small Network Builders and look at their ranking charts and router reviews. No router is perfect in every category.

Then set your new router up for your network. Once it is working add your old E3000 to your network and use it for added WiFi coverage and to provide three additional Ethernet ports.

There are simple straight forward instructions on how to to this on the SNB web site.
    OK, thanks. Will have some spare time in a couple of days and will look into it.
    Dish 1000+ / Dish 500 / SIRIUS Radio / OTA Terrestrial Digital DB4 / 26 dB Pre-Amp / Slingbox 500 / RF Modulatorsx3
    119 / 110 / 129 / 118.7 / DPP44x2 / Duo Nodex2 / Hopper w/Slingx4 / Joeyx1 / 500G WD My DVR Expander EHDx2
    AEP HD / Xtsy / Multi-Sport / Blockbuster@Home / International Basic / Italian Raitalia / Heartland / Outdoor Sports
    55" Samsung HD LED / 50" Panasonic HD Plasma / 50" Vizio HD LED / 40" Samsung HD LED / 32" Vizio HD LCD

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are watching your Sling stream on your home/local network LAN then you are not utilizing any of your data from your ISP. The traffic stays local and is all switched through the switch section of your router and never leaves your home.

Most current routers/ switches have more than enough capacity to handle multiple HD streams with out bogging down. The most powerful current home routers can handle 1300Mbps in data. Even an old 54G can handle 36Mbps.

The only time you might experience a problem if you were trying to stream multiple HD streams using WiFi, but even then a good router should be able to handle several streams if their is decent signal strength throughout your home and there are not to many competing networks in range.
    I thought Sling always went through the internet to Sling itself associated with one's account, then back through the internet to your viewing device, even if it is in the same room on a laptop. I also thought this is part of how Sling is legal (and bulletproof), and as part of that, Sling won't allow more than one stream. Sling essentially manages the stream for legal reasons, and therefore, Sling does use one's internet access and, it follows, that the ISP does count this stream against you data cap. I thought! I may have gotten it wrong, so I'm willing to learn. Could you please explain Sling and how it works and we can Sling using our LAN and never having it go through the internet? I must have completely misunderstood. If we can indeed Sling never using our ISP, then that makes Sling more attractive. Thanks. Anyone else is welcome to explain, as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using a stand alone Slingbox connected to my 211. When I start up the Slingplayer application it does use the Internet to connect to Sling to find my Slingbox on the WWW AND check if my Slingbox is connected to another PC, smartphone, tablet etc. If the Slingbox is connected to another device then I can not connect to it using another device unless I force the Slingbox to disconnect from the other device by typing in my administrative password. Once my connection is authorized all the video data flows over my LAN when I am watching the Slingbox on a device connected to my LAN.

Routers by their very design are programmed not to route data out over the WAN if both the connected devices are located on the same LAN.

If on the other hand I want to watch my Slingbox using my Iphone using 3G when I am not connected to MY WiFi network then I use data from my ISP to upload the video being streamed and additional 3G data from AT&T to watch the Sling stream on my Iphone. If I was watching my Slingbox using WiFi at a hotspot I would still be using data to upload the stream but "free" WiFi to download and watch the video.
    VIP 211K w/external hard drive
    VIP 211 w/external hard drive
    Toshiba LCD HDTV
    LG LCD HDTV
    Slingbox Solo
    Dish 500 for 110/119

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast