Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transfer shows from 1 ehd to another

Post Thanks / Like

Transfer shows from 1 ehd to another

I have 2 ehd on my hopper. Is there a way to move shows from 1 ehd to the other? Or do i have to move them to the hopper first, then to the ehd?

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    Not directly, you can transfer to Hopper then to other EHD.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can start the second leg of the transfers as soon as each recording has been moved to the internal.
    This requires more of your time but can shorten the start-to-finish time.
    You will only take the 1-way transfer time plus the time for the last or last recordings.
    (Assumes recordings are about equal in size.)

-Ken
    Last edited by KKlare; 05-11-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! John Kotches did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, John Kotches did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, John Kotches did! Be COOL like John Kotches and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ken:

If you are transferring in and out simultaneously you could slow the process down as the internal drive must service input and output queues which could cause contention issues as these aren't high performance drives. Especially when you consider that there's very little RAM for file system caching of the reads.

Also, that's a lot of time spent monitoring and keeping things going. I'd like to think my time is more valuable, but I could just be deceiving myself.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x
    Curmudgeon in Training / Surround Music Enthusiast
    Dish Subscriber since 1999
    Opinions are my own, not that of any publication I write for.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is probably a lot of slack in the transfer that can be used to keep (both) / all streams active. What about the encoding/decoding times that can be overlapped with the transfers? CPU usage vs. channel transfers, assuming they have transfer channel(s)? We know it runs much more time than the actual transfer time to move a show.

-Ken

John, edit looking at email version (did you change it?):
    "If you are transferring in and out simultaneously you could slew the process siren as the internal drive must service input and output queues which could cause Dundee connection issues as these aren't high performance drives."

I don't recognize siren nor Dundee.

There can be little or no caching as the streams do not repeat in proximity.

I was really suggesting that after say 1/2 of files are transferred, you could start the other leg of the transfer. This would take you only a few seconds of monitoring and set up for each half but would remove 1/3 to 1/2 of the elapsed time--1st guess.

Getting back full control of the drives being the objective.
    -Ken
    Last edited by KKlare; 05-13-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! KAB did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, KAB did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, KAB did! Be COOL like KAB and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gives me a headache.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast