Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OTA complications

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Hair View Post
    In developing a plan to improve OTA quality, I was wondering what kind of RG6 solid copper core to install.
    Solid copper probably isn't necessary unless you use a monster preamp. It doesn't conduct RF any better than CCS. As primestar31 points out, quad shield is where you'll get the best protection.

If induction is the problem, running your cable at right angles to the transmission line may help.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like

RG-6 Quad shield with copper conductor?

In looking at this from a standpoint of using it for OTA. How hard is it to work in wall cavity do to its stiffness? Straight drop down inside wall through a diagonal fire block (hole is drilled) and 90 degree to back of wall plate.

The reason of thinking of using RG-6 Quad shield with copper conductor was it seems to recommended to used on FTA satellite, ku which is next project. FTA satellite will probably start out farther from electric lines and end up about the same distance where TV is.

Am I better off just getting enough for this job only of the Quad-shielded coax?

Solid signal has 1000 ft. reel of the RG-6 copper center conductor for around $100.
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=ULPVRG6SCBLK

F connectors for RG-6 Quad-shielded. pkg 100 $13,
    Without o-ring. Presently out of stock.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...Connectors&sku

=

I usually borrow a crimper from a friend for regular RG6.

I also see it in cut various lengths with ends, 100ft running around $28.
    I would believe it would be a challenge to get the correct length measurement.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Hair View Post
    In looking at this from a standpoint of using it for OTA. How hard is it to work in wall cavity do to its stiffness? Straight drop down inside wall through a diagonal fire block (hole is drilled) and 90 degree to back of wall plate.

The reason of thinking of using RG-6 Quad shield with copper conductor was it seems to recommended to used on FTA satellite, ku which is next project. FTA satellite will probably start out farther from electric lines and end up about the same distance where TV is.

Am I better off just getting enough for this job only of the Quad-shielded coax?

Solid signal has 1000 ft. reel of the RG-6 copper center conductor for around $100.
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=ULPVRG6SCBLK

F connectors for RG-6 Quad-shielded. pkg 100 $13,
    Without o-ring. Presently out of stock.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...Connectors&sku

=

I usually borrow a crimper from a friend for regular RG6.

I also see it in cut various lengths with ends, 100ft running around $28.
    I would believe it would be a challenge to get the correct length measurement.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
    Quad shield is no harder to run than any other coax, it's not that much larger. My suggestion is to do 4 runs MINIMUM, as long as you need one, it's just as easy to run a few more. If you DON'T, you'll regret it later when you decide you'd really like a second receiver, OR, the original cable might develop a problem (rare, but could happen). You might also want to consider running some 7 strand sprinkler cable out to where your dishes will be, in case you ever feel the need to install a c-band dish with actuator.

Buy the roll of coax and run it yourself. If you feel challenged in putting on the ends, you can probably find a dish or cable tv installer that would do it for a few dollars.

Post Thanks / Like

RG6U coax compared to RG6 Quad-Shield coax.

RG6U coax compared to RG6 Quad-Shield coax.

True or False?

RG6 Quad-Shield solid copper at SolidSignal.com has only specs that does not have a way to compare RG6U to. When I go to other brands specifications seem about the same to me.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=610370580943

Confusion has arrived from hidefforum with Tigerbangs, which says something like for OTA use RG6u only. That it does not have the loss that Quad- Shield does and easier to flex. I am in such a bad place for OTA I need all the advantage I can get.

http://www.highdefforum.com/local-hd...reception.html

Post #1

Solid Signal does not even list a RG6U coax.
    I was wanting to order a reel of the coax since it is less expensive that way. I am also in the process of installing a FTA Ku setup. I can get the coax in different ways to get two kinds if needed.

I am also dealing with electric line of around 45 000 volts.

Thanks for your support.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on the brand and build quality there might be a half dB extra loss over 100 feet in the TV frequencies with quad shield versus regular RG6. If you're using an amp then the loss is of no importance. The deciding factor will be if you believe the power line is close enough to be causing you trouble. If you have the tools to install ends on quad shield cable then you might want to look for a partial roll of quad for antenna installs near the power line.
    Dish Network DP301 with Dish 500 on Welcome Pack
    C-band FTA: 4 foot VSAT Mod on 99w
    Ku-band FTA: 40x30 inch Primestar on 97w, Dish 500 Mod on 83w, 28x26 inch Wildblue Mod on 30w.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Jim5506 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Jim5506 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Jim5506 did! Be COOL like Jim5506 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your current antenna is a VHF only, any UHF received on it is purely coincidental.

You need to add an UHF antenna - a big one the 4221 is probably too small - look at an 8 bay cat-whiskers or a large UHF yagi like the 91-XG.

You do not need quad-shield unless there is something nearby that is injecting interference into the cable itself - extra expense and the line loss is the same!

You will probably need a pre-amp because all but a very few of your stations are in the negative on the NM dB (very weak) - get one of the new RCA pre-amps that have UHF and VHF inputs, scuttlebutt is they are pretty good.

You must realize that your situation is very difficult, only 3 of your channels are in the positive on noise margin and one of those is barely above zero.

All those weak channels require extraordinary measures for reception, so don't expect to get by with midrange antennas.
    Hitachi 57F59; Sony VHP-D50Q - 7' diag on wall
    Hopper with Sling; Hopper 2000, 3 - Joeys; 2 - HD TiVos, one with 1TB HDD, second with 1.5TB HDD; 2 - TiVo Series 2's; Accurian 6000; Samsung SIR-T351; Panasonic Showstopper 2000; ATI HDTV Wonder; Hauppauge HD PVR;
    2 X Sony PS3; Toshiba HD-A3 HDDVD; SlingBox AV
    Dish 1000.2 on 61.5 and 72.7
    RS U75-R; Funke PSP.1922 still in the box

Thinking of Signing Up for DISH? Please consider using one of my referral codes below and we will both save $50 on our DISH bill!
    HOP128179863 / HOP128179863 / HOP128179863
    To redeem the code go to http://tinyurl.com/dishreferral or you can call 888-284-7103 or your local participating DISH retailer!
    (If you use one of my codes THANK YOU! Please PM me when you use the code so I can remove the used code!)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast