Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Error "775: Problem communicating with dish"

Post Thanks / Like

Error "775: Problem communicating with dish"

I moved a month ago and DIRECTV came and set up everything. There were no problems for weeks and it was working perfectly. However, one night last week, I went to turn on the tv and received the "775 Problem communicating with dish" error. I have been out of the house alot this week so I have not been able to do much except for the day that it first began not working. The error has been the same since it first happened. II have done a fair amount of troubleshooting myself and cannot seem to fix this issue. My setup that was done by DIRECTV is wiring from dish to what appears to be the SWM (flat panel which has 6 or so connections and is outside), SWM wiring runs inside and connects to splitter, splitter wiring runs to Power Inserter, wiring from Power Inserter runs to Receiver. Also, I have a total of 5 receivers in the house and all of them are not working. I have done the following:

Reset All receivers multiple times
    Unplugged Power Inserter (Green Light is on)
    Verified correct connection to Power Inserter
    Removed splitter and directly connected wiring from wall to power inserter
    Verified no noticeably loose connections

I really do not want to have a service call. I feel its ridiculous to pay for something I did not do wrong. Any suggestions?

Major city/state near you: Cleveland, OH
    ZIP Code: 44118
    Receiver Manufacturer: DIRECTV
    Receiver Model: H24
    Date/Time/Duration of problem: ongoing
    Channel(s) where problem is occurring: all
    Do you have a Single Wire Multiswitch?: Yes

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    The first step is to verify that the Power Inserter is powered. Make 100% certain that it is not plugged into a switched outlet.

http://support.directv.com/app/answe...irectv-support

Post Thanks / Like
    yes it is powered. the outlet works fine and the green light on the power inserter is on

Post Thanks / Like
    couple things...
    1. Did you move the power inserter? If so, move it back to its original location. The coax from the power inserter back to the dish has to be on a specific port on any splitters (marked by a red line)
    2. Since all the receivers are out, the problem most likely is that the line(s) from the power inserter to the dish have a "break" somewhere.. usually, it's the one from the power inserter to the wall (Marked "power to SWM" I think).. Try changing out that Coax first and see if the receivers reset themselves and start working.
    3. After that.. as best you can, follow the coax from the power inserter to the dish, checking all the connection points and if possible, swapping out one coax at a time..
    It's usually a Coax cable or a connector that causes the problem, but can be the power inserter itself. If none of the above helps, you'll need a Service Call so a tech can figure out exactly what the problem is.

Edit: Make sure if you swap out any Coax, that you use RG6 Coaxial cables.. theres 2 kinds.. the cheap kind will work fine, just make sure its RG6

raoul5788 is online now Studebaker driver
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    A 775 error is often the power inserter as harsh suggests, so check it. It could be a bad cable, connector, or lnb also. Since you say all of your receivers/dvrs aren't working, that indicates the power inserter or lnb, possibly the line from the lnb to inside.
    BTW, my name is Chip, Raoul5788 is just a screen name

raoul5788 is online now Studebaker driver
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ha! You just beat me to it Lanarian, but I think we are on the right track.
    BTW, my name is Chip, Raoul5788 is just a screen name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast