Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Intelsat tested 4K TV on Galaxy 13

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Lak7 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Lak7 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Lak7 did! Be COOL like Lak7 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see why that is relevant.
    Probably just me.
    10' Unimesh, with Bullseye II Feed and PLL LNBs, GBox 3000, feeding Omicom S2 & TBS5925.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    So if I understand correctly, for the test they had 4 separate 1K streams using 4.2.2? Can any of the 4 streams still be viewed in 1080 resolution if using 4.2.2 capable hardware such as the AzBox?

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Lak7 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Lak7 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Lak7 did! Be COOL like Lak7 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can any of the 4 streams still be viewed in 1080 resolution if using 4.2.2 capable hardware such as the AzBox?
    If the AzBox can do h.264 4:2:2 and 16apsk, then yes.
    To me, it's not a real test, it's just 4 video channels in a single MUX. I think the actual test is on the receiver's end - an IRD being able to sync those 4 channels into a single Picture.
    10' Unimesh, with Bullseye II Feed and PLL LNBs, GBox 3000, feeding Omicom S2 & TBS5925.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a test of one way of transmitting 4K video with current tech since 2160p H.265 encoders haven't been produced yet. This is just Intelsat playing around.

I think new encoders will be produced that encode the full 3840x2160 progressive image using H.265 before any kind of mass distribution is started. These 4x 1080p feeds that must be combined into a single video likely won't be any kind of finalized backhauls or fronthauls and will disappear when we start seeing a serious 4K push. There's really not even a need to use 16APSK even when the H.265 encoders get rolled out - DVB-S2 with a SR of 30000 and and FEC of 5/6 has plenty of bandwidth to deliver a high quality 2160p feed, and even that's probably overkill. Your plain 'ol DVB-S QPSK uplink with ~40 Mbps of bandwidth should be plenty. 4K H.265 @ 40 Mbps is the 4K equivalent of 1080p H.264 @ 20 Mbps.

Post Thanks / Like
    If they can achieve a decent PQ using only 40 megabits, then 4k storage on Blu-Ray would be feasible.

If they bit starve the 4k too much, on the other hand, they'll lose any added detail that 4k would provide (see most pizza dish and digital cable HD channels).
    Last edited by Tron; 06-29-2013 at 06:30 AM.
    Current systems: 3X GEOSATpro microHD PVRs; Digitrans DTE-7150 DVB/Digicipher II; SiliconDust HDHomeRun ATSC/QAM networked tuners; fixed 1 meter Channel Master dish with Eagle Aspen P870 FSS stacked Ku LNB; 2X 3ABN 36" dishes with Sadoun KBSL1 stacked Ku LNBFs on Powermax SG-9120B H-H motors; fixed Sadoun SD180G 1.8 meter dish with Eagle Aspen B1SAT stacked C LNBF; Winegard Square Shooter OTA DTV antenna

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! kodaz did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, kodaz did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, kodaz did! Be COOL like kodaz and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats it, now i gotta find a tv that can play 4 az boxes at once :P.

This thread is an interesting read.

it seems no grave can hold 4:2:2
    10' and 8' Unimesh(s) , 7.5' Perfect 10, Superdish x 2,
    Crimestar x 2, 10' darkstar, Laux Beta 9'
    Coolsat 5k (great signal meters and Beepers), S-9 , GI 450I (dishmover), Micro hd, X2
    Bandstacked no retreat, no surrender. Recievers to 3 WS international 4X1 to 2 Digiwave 8 X 1 to Zinwel multiswitch to 16+ LNB array.

ADTV RULES!! HI MOM!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123