Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where to start

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Balock View Post
    You might also try changing the height of your antenna. Higher is not always better according to comments I've seen on AVForums in the past.
    I would like to go higher, but without a longer pipe for the tripod, or a tower, I'm as high as I am gonna go right now. If I drop the antenna point signal drops off drastically, and since I'm looking up hill in all directions pretty much, not sure how much I'm gonna gain by getting higher.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    Another trick that works sometime is to tilt the antenna upwards a few degrees. I did it by bending the mast. Certainly did not deterioate the signal any. I also like to use,
    http://transition.fcc.gov/bureaus/mb...aps/index.html

for realistic reception reports.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, I've got the point of the antenna tilted to point just above the tree line. That's the only way I could really get anything at all.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! migold did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, migold did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, migold did! Be COOL like migold and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had one antenna mounted 20 feet above ground trying to get a signal, and it came in very weak. I LOWERED the antenna and found a good strong signal at 7 feet above ground. It doesn't make sense, but it does work.... Channel number is 46, so it is a high UHF frequency.
    Migold -
    10' Mesh BUD Dual C-LBNF w/actuator driven by Drake ESR1624U (61W-139W)
    90 cm GeoSatPro w/ DG380 (61W-125W)
    2.4 meter stationary (aimed to 99W, w/offset LNB for 105W)
    Azbox Premium Plus HD, AZBox MiniME American edition, Pansat 9200HD.
    Viewing on
    Sony KDL-46XBR9, Sony KDL-32EX500, etc.
    OTA VHF Hi-Band Yagi+Amp; HDTV Antenna w/Internal Booster from China, 16 Bay AntennaCraft Super G-1483 (Gray-Hoverman) modified +Amp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the SecretSquirrel83 came and got his stuff today so I guess he's found out where to start. He left for home about 2 hours after he got here with more info than he probably will remember and his truck loaded with that 7.5ft SAMI dish, a piece of schedule 40 pipe to mount it on, about 100ft of coax, connectors and a pansat 3500SD. I also gave him an ESX241 LNBF that I had bought a couple of years ago to test with since I've got a DMX-741U to do that with now.

Ennywho, he's going to have to buy concrete for the post mount, a Vbox something and the wire to hook up to the dish mover and reed switch and he'll be in business. Hopefully it won't be that much longer before he's in here with questions on how to tweak that dish in. Since he's due north of me and only about 50 miles as the crow flies it should be pretty easy to get the elevation/declination set. The receiver already has 78w programmed in and the LNBF is already tweaked too.

Piece of cake, right?
    10 ft Winegard, DMX-741S LNBF, VonWeise Mover, Micro HD/AZBox Elite/Openbox S9 and PowerMax Vbox X.

10 ft Unimesh, DMX-741S LNBF, VonWeise Mover, Micro HD/AZBox Ultra/Openbox S9 and PowerMax Vbox X.

With both systems seeing 37W back to 139W plus 23 local channels OTA, we are a subscription free home!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123