Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fooling My Motor

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tripinva View Post
    ...I'm still thinking using incorrect coordinates in USALS...
    Edit your USALS longitude coordinate by a small increment in either direction. I change mine in 0.1 or 0.2 degree increments at a time. If signal quality increases on your reference satellite as you edit this value, then keep changing it in the same direction. If signal quality decreases, increment the value in the opposite direction. When you find the peak signal quality, you're done.

If your system is basically installed correctly, and you have USALS configured for each satellite, the above procedure should place your dish at the best location for almost every satellite. I find on the edges of the arc, you may get better results if you don't use USALS and use diseqc commands instead for the very best peak in quality reading.

Right now, I have my USALS longitude value set 0.9 degrees off the "corrrect" longitude value. Doing this is a lot simpler than trying to tweak the dish so you can enter your exactly correct longitude value.
    Openbox S9 using C2HS2-11-12-13:0481CMT firmware, GEOSATpro microHD, Digiwave 36"x39" dish w/Avenger PLL321S-2 universal LNB, Moteck SG-2100 motor, Glen Martin RT-832 8-ft 4-legged tower, Star Choice 40"x44" fixed dish w/DGL-900D circular LNB

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like

It's gotta be something

Do you have any STBs you could try generating USALS commands with?
    Others don't find this sort of problem, so I have to wonder:
    - is it some mechanical alignment problem?
    - or an error in generating the USALS commands?
    - well, I suppose it could be a wonky motor, too.

Edit: I thought of another possibility...
    - error entering initial GPS location
    possibly converting between degrees/minutes/seconds and decimal degrees?
    (a simple English to Metric error was responsible for a crashed probe on Mars)
    Last edited by Anole; 07-12-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    Straight Talk on AT&T iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1, BB 3.10.01.
    restoring broken iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3, BB 3.4.03.

: BirdView 8' solid & GBox V3000.
    :
    AMCI 8' perf (maybe a DH?) & AJAK-180.

Post Thanks / Like
    For purists, yesterday I took the effort to tweak my dish such that now the USALS coordinates I enter are precisely my exact dish lat/long coordinates as confirmed using a GPS at the dish. Result? Reception is no different than before when I cheated by manually touching up the USALS longitude just a little. Except I do have a rosy sunburn from standing in the sun for some time yesterday. I still can't get 15W anymore presumably due to summer putting leaves on the tree sticks that I like in winter time.
    Openbox S9 using C2HS2-11-12-13:0481CMT firmware, GEOSATpro microHD, Digiwave 36"x39" dish w/Avenger PLL321S-2 universal LNB, Moteck SG-2100 motor, Glen Martin RT-832 8-ft 4-legged tower, Star Choice 40"x44" fixed dish w/DGL-900D circular LNB

tripinva is offline Proud Staff Member
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, my dish got bumped at some point and I had to line it back up this morning. I think I may have figured out what happened. It appears that my Manhattan receiver and the Prog Finder software on the computer disagree about the USALS calculations. I used the same lat/long in both, but when I used the Manhattan, the motor was set slightly differently than with my software. Because I tend to use my Manhattan to do the initial aiming and then tweak it into place with the software once I think I'm tracking right and everything, I can definitely see how I might have gotten slightly off.

And it now seems to track fine since I used the software to set the USALS before tweaking.

- Trip
    N4MJC

RabbitEars.Info

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually have any PC-based receivers (PC cards or USB) slaved to a receiver. One reason I do this is that many PC cards do not output enough current to properly operate a motor.
    Current systems: 3X GEOSATpro microHD PVRs; Digitrans DTE-7150 DVB/Digicipher II; SiliconDust HDHomeRun ATSC/QAM networked tuners; fixed 1 meter Channel Master dish with Eagle Aspen P870 FSS stacked Ku LNB; 2X 3ABN 36" dishes with Sadoun KBSL1 stacked Ku LNBFs on Powermax SG-9120B H-H motors; fixed Sadoun SD180G 1.8 meter dish with Eagle Aspen B1SAT stacked C LNBF; Winegard Square Shooter OTA DTV antenna

tripinva is offline Proud Staff Member
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    My receiver, the TeVii S660, has an external power cord. It doesn't depend on USB power. It won't even power up without the external power cord.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars.Info

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234