Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peaking a Dish

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! zippyfrog did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, zippyfrog did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, zippyfrog did! Be COOL like zippyfrog and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Peaking a Dish

I am on Western Arc, and my dish needs to be re-peaked. Signal is fine on 110 and 119, but my 129 is right around 10-15 and I am getting the "partial signal loss tuning to SD equivalent message" quite frequently. I have done this before but I can't seem to find the information on what is the order to peak. Isn't there a specific order for satellites and transponder number I should be on as I peak the dish for best results?

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! dwarren2 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, dwarren2 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, dwarren2 did! Be COOL like dwarren2 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    If your getting partial signal loss, do a System Info to check for lnb drift. That could be a problem.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! navigates did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, navigates did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, navigates did! Be COOL like navigates and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    c/p form installation manual.

Figure 1. DISH 1000.2 Antenna Installation Overview
    1. Find Azimuth/Elevation/Skew angles for your location (instructions on page 3 and tables on page 10).
    2. Find a location for the dish antenna with a clear line of sight and a sturdy mounting surface (page 3, step 1).
    3. Mount the mast, making sure it is absolutely vertical (page 3, steps 2 and 3).
    4. Assemble the dish antenna, setting the skew and elevation angles in the process. Use additional skew bolts for
    skew angles greater than 110 or less than 70 (page 3, steps 4-6).
    5. Mount the dish antenna on the mast and point the dish to the azimuth angle (page 4, step 7).
    6. Run cables between the dish antenna and the receiver(s), leaving a service loop around the Mast Clamp (page 5,
    step 1).
    7. Using a peaking meter attached to the DPP 1000.2 LNBF PORT 1, peak the dish on 119W using transponder 11
    or higher for maximum strength. Tighten all bolts (see Table 1) and re-confirm maximum signal (page 5, steps 2-
    5).
    Note: The 1000.2 Three-LNBF Bracket with three DP Dual (or DP Single) LNBFs can be used in place of the
    Integrated Adapter Bracket and DPP 1000.2 LNBF.
    8. Connect the receiver cable(s) to the DPP 1000.2 LNBF PORT 1 (and PORT 2 and PORT 3, as necessary)
    (page 6, step 6) and receiver. Some restrictions apply when connecting Legacy receivers. See page 7.
    9. Run Check Switch test and confirm 110W, 119W, and 129W reception (page 6, steps 7-9).
    10. Take a software download, if you didn’t already (page 7, step 10).
    11. Run a Check Switch test and confirm 110W, 119W, 129 reception (page 7, step 11).
    12. Install additional receiver(s), if necessary (page 7, step 12).
    13. If applicable, connect a second satellite dish to the DPP 1000.2 LNBF’s LNB IN port (page 8, steps 1-4).

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! navigates did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, navigates did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, navigates did! Be COOL like navigates and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dwarren2 View Post
    If your getting partial signal loss, do a System Info to check for lnb drift. That could be a problem.
    Agreed. That too can be a problem.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Jim5506 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Jim5506 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Jim5506 did! Be COOL like Jim5506 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since you already have signal on all three lnbs, first mark the pole and the bracket with a scribe or some sort of marker. Mark also the skew setting and the elevation setting so they could be restored if your foul things up.

Check the skew setting on the back of the dish (rotation of the dish along an axis pointing to the satellite), if it is by the book number for your zip code - don't change it, if it is not slightly loosen the lock nut that holds it and adjust to Dish Network specs. tighten the skew bolts of loosened.

Loosen the bolts along the pole and lift the dish off the pole.

Check the pole for ABSOLUTE verticality with a bubble level on two sides 90 degrees from each other - adjust the pole if necessart until it is truly vertical.

Replace the dish on the pole and realign the previous marks, slightly tighten the bolts (but not too much) and observe signal strengths.

Now if signal tweaking is still needed, move the dish an extremely small amount to the right and observe signal strength, if it goes up repeat, if down undo and go left - repeat until maximum signal is found - tighten bolts on the pole but not too much - no warping is needed.

Last thing to adjust is elevation - slightly loosen the elevation bolts and move the dish assembly up a tiny bit and observe signal strengths, if the y go up, repeat, if not undo and go down until maximum signal is achieved.

Repeat the azimuth and elevation adjustments until peak performance is achieved.

You may need to de-tune 110 and/or 119 in order to get best signal on 129, try to keep all three at the same general level.

It may take an hour or so to carefully do this (a Dish tech may not have the time) but I peaked my old D1000 on WA 5 years ago and still had excellent signal on all three when Dish replaced it with a D1000.2 for my recent Hopper install.

Best Wishes.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! dwarren2 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, dwarren2 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, dwarren2 did! Be COOL like dwarren2 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before you muck around with repeaking, do the Sys Info. If the lnb is bad, no amount of repeaking will fix it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast