Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Thread: 4K over satellite

Post Thanks / Like

4K over satellite

I thought you might all be interested in this:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2048...me-at-ifa.html

Eutelsat was demonstrating its 4xHD 4K service and Astra had an HEVC channel setup. The DVB Forum folks said they are moving towards getting HEVC into DVB-S2 rather than defining a new transmission standard. I guess something like DVB-S2 v2.

I also discovered something I didn't know: DVB-S2 has an optional hierarchical modulation method that allows backwards compatibility with DVB-S receivers. I presume this is something that is not widely used, because I don't recall ever seeing a mention of it.

MicroHD with Winegard 1m dish, DG380 motor, Geosat Pro SL1 LNB on ku band. 83W to 123W visible.
    Perfect 10 7.5ft C-band dish from 87W to 121W, NS741 LNB controlled by General Instrument 550i analog receiver and Von Weise actuator.
    Been into satellite TV since 1989 (Astra 1A). Started the English-language news service of Tele-Satellit magazine in early nineties.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder how bitstarved that 4k stream was, considering the bitrate needed for reasonable quality 4k...
    Current systems: 3X GEOSATpro microHD PVRs; Digitrans DTE-7150 DVB/Digicipher II; SiliconDust HDHomeRun ATSC/QAM networked tuners; fixed 1 meter Channel Master dish with Eagle Aspen P870 FSS stacked Ku LNB; 2X 3ABN 36" dishes with Sadoun KBSL1 stacked Ku LNBFs on Powermax SG-9120B H-H motors; fixed Sadoun SD180G 1.8 meter dish with Eagle Aspen B1SAT stacked C LNBF; Winegard Square Shooter OTA DTV antenna

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tron View Post
    I wonder how bitstarved that 4k stream was, considering the bitrate needed for reasonable quality 4k...
    Ought to look great on the iPhone...

Post Thanks / Like
    The Eutelsat 4xDVB-S2 system was using 72Mbps in total. I seem to remember Eutelsat has some wideband transponders so I guess it was using one of those.

The Astra service was running over an 18Mbps stream. The actual stream was constant bit rate but it consisted of a content that was pre-encoded with a variable bit rate that averages 8Mbps. They filled the space with blank data to make the CBR signal to ease the real-time decoding, which was being done by a pre-production decoder chip for future set-top boxes.

An Astra rep told me he expects two 4K channels per conventional transponder.
    MicroHD with Winegard 1m dish, DG380 motor, Geosat Pro SL1 LNB on ku band. 83W to 123W visible.
    Perfect 10 7.5ft C-band dish from 87W to 121W, NS741 LNB controlled by General Instrument 550i analog receiver and Von Weise actuator.
    Been into satellite TV since 1989 (Astra 1A). Started the English-language news service of Tele-Satellit magazine in early nineties.