Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a bigger dish better?

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! zmwp01 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, zmwp01 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, zmwp01 did! Be COOL like zmwp01 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like

Is a bigger dish better?

I currently have a tripple LNB 18x20" dish feeding my ZenithSATHD520
    Directv receiver. I am going to keep this when my new HD-TIVO comes in.
    If I add a new dish for the the HD-TIVO, is the larger dish a benifit?
    I occasionally experience loss of signal during severe storms or heavy snow.
    Any experiences or suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,
    Tulsa

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    If the dish is peaked to the maximum you should not have any problem. All dish have the potential of a rain faid but it will be kept to a minimum by maximizing the dish allignment.

Post Thanks / Like
    A larger dish would not prevent rain fade in strong storm activity. It would only delay the onset. You also have to take into consideration the extra wind shear effect on the larger area of a bigger dish. A snapped mount could leave you with the ultimate rain fade. (I believe I read somewhere that Oklahoma is subject to some wind and thunderstorm activity occasionally. Probably just a rumor...)

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! zmwp01 did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, zmwp01 did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, zmwp01 did! Be COOL like zmwp01 and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray H
    A larger dish would not prevent rain fade in strong storm activity. It would only delay the onset. You also have to take into consideration the extra wind shear effect on the larger area of a bigger dish. A snapped mount could leave you with the ultimate rain fade. (I believe I read somewhere that Oklahoma is subject to some wind and thunderstorm activity occasionally. Probably just a rumor...)
    Thank you Ray,
    Your comment about wind effect on a larger dish is definitely a valid
    concern, glad you brought that up. This is the tornado belt so high winds
    is an issue here.

Post Thanks / Like

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Tyralak did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Tyralak did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Tyralak did! Be COOL like Tyralak and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zmwp01
    I currently have a tripple LNB 18x20" dish feeding my ZenithSATHD520
    Directv receiver. I am going to keep this when my new HD-TIVO comes in.
    If I add a new dish for the the HD-TIVO, is the larger dish a benifit?
    I occasionally experience loss of signal during severe storms or heavy snow.
    Any experiences or suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,
    Tulsa
    A larger dish is ALWAYS better. It allows you to collect more signal, and makes it less suceptable to rain fade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast