Results 1 to 6 of 8
Thread: C-Band FAQ's
12-25-2005 06:58 PM #1
12-25-2005 06:58 PM # ADSRegister Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement
- Join Date
- Advertising world
01-02-2006 05:50 PM #2
C-Band FAQ's Contributers
Not in any particular order
gizzer777, tdti1, Shawn95GT, mkm4, iammike, nailz, Diamond Jim, charper1, Ken 2400, bryansr,GrumpyGuy, PSB, dfergie, goailebob99(technical help behind scenes), osu1991, McGuyver, MrFTAMan, tvropro, Sadoun (one of our former Gold Sponsors) and Scott Greczkowski for this site and forum.
Last edited by dfergie; 11-18-2008 at 05:42 PM. Reason: add McGuyver
01-25-2006 09:44 AM #3
01-25-2006 10:33 PM #4
Where to buy
The Satellite Shop
Satellite Engineering Group, Inc
Daves Web Shop
Eye in the Sky
Alan's Satellite Page
Robert Smathers TVRO Satellite Web Page
Official rec.video.satellite.tvro FAQ
Big Dish Info
Satellite Help.Com (Superstar)
National Programing Service
SPS -Satellite Programming
What Is Hits?
Big Dish Info
4dtv on a mini BUD
4dtv/Hdtv on a mini BUD
Last edited by dfergie; 03-26-2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: add onsat and satellite911 links
01-26-2006 11:00 AM #5
Adjusting Polar Mount page 1
Adjusting Polar Mount page 2
Adjusting Polar Mount page 3
Explanation of Polar Mount
Setting up a Polar Mount
24" Actuator Schematic's
Satellite help.com (Superstar)
Installation Ideas and Tips
1. You will need at least an 8-12 FT BUD (depends on location) the bigger the better!
An Appropriate wireing harness(direct burial) with 2 rg6 leads, 2 Servo moter leads, 3 Polaroter leads and 2 Heavy Power Leads (Dish Mover)
C Band LNB (Ku for more options)
Feed Horn (I Like the chaparell Co Rotor 2)
A VCII Descrambler for analog (Optional) Digicipher Digital Is built into the receiver!
A Six foot pole into the ground (3.5-4.0 Inches in diameter)...Mine goes down another 3 Ft into a Cement foundation.
A Good view of the Clarke Belt (AT LEAST 83 Degrees East-133Degrees WestIMHO)
A good Dish Mover...I Like the SuperJack...Middle of the road and solid.
A Good Provider like NPS or Skyvision that is not affiliated with the DBS Dish providers.
An HDD200 HD Unit(Neccessary for HD If so desired)
Dolby Digital home Theater Receiver for the great digital sound (Optional but great, on the 922 especially.
75OHM Coax for Digital sound (AC3) (Optional)
Composite Cables or SVideo(Better) Cable or If you use an HDD200 Component Cables(Best)
Of course a rebuilt 4dtv 920 or preferably a new 922 4dtv Receiver!
Sure there is more but others will add!
Some more tips.
2. Start by getting a analog receiver and a signal meter. Some receiver have meters but a in-line SF-95 helps a lot. If you already have a digital receiver and have received some ku sats then you can start with that receiver. Why start with analog? It's a lot easier to position a dish on a analog signal than a digital one. There receivers are on e-bay, hamfests, garage sales, or sometimes given away with a dish. Once you find some sats with analog then get a digital reciever and look for digital signals on that sat.
Two look for dishes. There are many people who have dishes they want to get rid of. Just stop and ask if the dish looks un-used. Bring a measuring tape to find out what size it is.
is another good place to ask. It's a grassroots movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It uses yahoo groups to post messages for a given area.
(courtesy of Ken 2400)
3. How to measure Depth of dish:
run a straight line (straight edge or piece of string) across the dish from edge to edge and measure the depth from the straight line to the center of the dish.
4. Can anyone tell me when setting up a big 8 foot dish ,,, how do i figure out the elevation? Because there are no elevation markings on my dish. I'm attaching a pic of how my dish looks like.
If you are moving the dish locally as long as you don't touch the mount the elevation should be already set for you.
Normally, though, you would use an inclinometer to set your angles.
5. Pole Recomendations and Ideas thread...
01-26-2006 11:09 AM #6
Troubleshooting ,Maintaince and Repairs
1. 4dtv passwords: Installer password override: 92121
Entering this password will get you into the installer menu where you can set your own password. I've read that this number is GI's Zip Code .
2. Parental Lock Password Reset:
Call your service provider and they can do this for you. I did this earlier today with NPS.
These two are VERY handy when using a used / second hand receiver.
3. Reed Switch: Inside the actuator arm there is a plastic wheel that is driven by the motor and it has magnets mounted on it. As the magnets pass close to the reed switch it is opened and closed. You can verify this by using a Ohm meter.
4. How To Measure Your Actuator Arm Info in this thread.
5. No 4DTV Guide?
Okay guys, this is what I did. I called NPS and talked to Claudia (she sounded fine) and she ask me if the DC light on the front of the 922 was on. It wasn't. She told me that the dish wasn't zeroed in on the satellite and to fine tune it until I got the light on and then she would give me a re hit. I messed with it for few minutes and the light came, I called Claudia back and she did a re hit, told me to wait about 25 minutes and it should come up, it took about 3 minutes.
From this thread.
Probably a good Idea to check your mounting bolts at least twice a year and replace as needed with good quaility bolts. Lubricate anything you can and use Wasp spray on the feedhorn.
Replacing Battery in VCII Board
A VCII + Batterectomy
VCII Replacement the Easy Way
Replacing Battery in 4DTV Receiver
4DTV DSR- 920 Saved it!
DSR-920 Battery Replacement Instructions
(links to Alans SatellitePage)
Motorola 4DTV/HD200 help desk phone 1-800-976-5174
8. Reseting the 922
Here is how it is done on a 922:
COPIED FROM A FILE I HAVE: I edited & updated a few parts of it.
1. First you should write down each satellites position and skew for each satellite.
Options 6-4-4 then push enter on every satellite programmed in (satellite names that have a check beside them) and write down Dish Position (NOT move dish to number)
Write down the skew numbers both for H & V
Push go back then use arrow right once to Don't Save and push enter then move the yellow box to every other satellite that has a check and do the same thing that you did above till all satellites are written down on the worksheet
2. Note: The dish Limits Options 6-4-3 will be reset so write this information down both East and West limits
3. Note: Dish settings Options 6-4-2 write down Actuator, LNB Type & Feedhorn Polarization
4. Note: All timers will be erased when you do a MR on the 4DTV
5. Now move your dish to satellite G1 (G15) Channel 3 (on your Analog receiver for the sidecar) Remember the number this satellite is at. If you like you can tweak your dishes position up or down a few numbers to bring in the maximum signal number on digital channels.
6. Press Options 6-7-7-8 arrow down to Reset to Factory Defaults and press enter The receiver should reset and reboot and you will see the receivers front say WM UP
7. After WM UP (warm up) you need to enter in your new dish limits.
8. Go to Options 6-4-2 and set this up as you recorded it down as. Then set the limits of your satellite and then push 3 Program Satellites and program in satellite G1 it should be at a dish position of 5000. Now tune to transponder 3 you should get a DCII Lock light and leave the receiver here for at least 1/2 hour. If you like go to Options 6-5 and look at the box at the bottom called Channels. Once you start receiving the new channel maps this number should slowly start to increment.
9. If your 4DTV doesn't have the IPG (on screen Guide) you will have to call your program provider and ask them for a hit. Go to options 6-5 and now look at the Trip Counter number once you receive a hit from the program provider you will see this number jump from 0 to a positive number usually 5. This means you have got a digital hit and your guide is now enabled. To download the guide push the Guide button on the 4DTV remote and let it load. If you don't have satellite G1 programmed in or can't receive a strong enough digital signal on G1 TP.3 you won't be able to receive the 4DTV IPG guide.
10. Now you can program in the rest of your satellites remember to program in each satellites skew and position as you had written it down on your work sheet. But before you do that you'll have to set the dishes Limits, but should be done from above.
I think with the sidecar all you have to do is write down your skew info since the analog receiver controls the rest, then do the MR. Hit the unit, let the channels load & guide, program in the satellites and skew. The current channel count is 4710. You need at least a 40 quality to get a usable stable lock. Hope this help's
9. Clock Problem with 922
Reseting Clock on 922 and Here
10. Repair Parts for Chaparral Receivers
11. Actuator Problems?
12. How To Paint Your BUD
How I Painted My Bud
Last edited by dfergie; 11-18-2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: add how I painted my bud