Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Neighbor wants to steal my signal!

Post Thanks / Like

Help! Neighbor wants to steal my signal!

My upstairs neighbor just told me she'd like to "hook in" to my satellite signal, and even offerred to pay a share of the bill. Well, I know this is totally illegal, and I don't want to do it. I love my DTV.

The problem is: The person is my landlord. I rent the apartment beneath her from her. So I can't tell her to eat s**t and bark at the moon. I need a way more, shall we say, diplomatic of getting her to drop the idea.

What excuses -- the more technical the better, since she doesn't know jack about that -- can I give her to tell her it's not possible?

Please help.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! bytre did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, bytre did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, bytre did! Be COOL like bytre and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tell her the satellite company requires that all receivers are plugged into the same phone line and regularly audits them. If you're found to be cheating, you lose all access and can be financially liable.

Its the truth, and a more diplomatic way of saying no than telling her to eat something.

Post Thanks / Like
    For one thing tell her it is illegal. Then the next excuse would be satellite is not like cable, you have to have one line from the dish to the one receiver. Unless she wants to watch what you watch all the time, you could put in a splitter from the receiver to your tv and hers.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    To save the neighbors feelings........Just tell her to pick up a six-pack and a couple of Big Macks and come on down to your apartment and spend the evening....this could be blessing in disguise.....Ps....does she have a sister..?.........good luck ......
    ..........3500Sd ...Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    If your dish has unused outputs, you could tell her she can run a line to the dish, but must have her own D* account, receiver, and phone line.

Post Thanks / Like
    The landlord probably doesn't understand how satellite works. So just explain the basics.

AVOID discussing anything about what is (or is not) LEGAL, and AVOID saying anything about violations of your D* agreement.

You can make it sound nice by offering her the use of one of the outputs from your dish. Then explain that she can't run the wire directly into the TV, it needs a D* rcvr. Then explain that EVERY D* rcvr must have a land-based telephone line connected (NOT a cell-phone).

Then tell her that logically, a rcvr in her apartment must be connected to HER phone, so she would need her OWN account.

If she has a comeback for all of that (like asking to run a phone lead from your apartment to hers, and connecting a new rcvr to it) explain that the new rcvr must be activated by D*, and requires a 2-year programming commitment. Tell her you're happy with D* now, but don't want to extend your commitment by 2 years at this time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast