Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PowerVu/Scientific Atlanta Receiver - AFN

Post Thanks / Like

PowerVu/Scientific Atlanta Receiver - AFN

Hey all,

I bought what somebody told me was an active Scientific Atlanta/PowerVu satellite receiver last week, by being active I mean it would be able to get AFN (American Forces Network) until the time the subscription runs out - seems that I have been conned as it never turned up (yes it was someone on this website)..........I will get some of my money back as I used paypal but not all of it........

SO - this means I am desperate for an active AFN (American Forces Network) satellite receiver over here in England..........if anyone knows of anyone who might be able to help then I would be very greatful if you could help..........most likely it would be somebody in the military but I know of no one and I have had no luck looking for US military forums for Europe, etc...

My email address is - nick@nickbrace.com

Thanks alot to you all.

Nick

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are eligible to receive AFN, you should know the rules and the procedures to get a valid AFN decoder.

If you are not eligible, then you are attempting to steal an encrypted signal which is HACKING.

If you serve, then you deserve!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Elchucko
    If you are eligible to receive AFN, you should know the rules and the procedures to get a valid AFN decoder.

If you are not eligible, then you are attempting to steal an encrypted signal which is HACKING.

If you serve, then you deserve!
    Actually thats not hacking at all, the definition of hacking is 'modifying existing hardware or software to enable you to watch encypted signals'...........I am in no way attempting to hack PowerVu (which has not been done yet as its soooo secure) but rather buy one with a subscription - this would only put money in the pocket of somebody who is 'serving' and so everyone would be happy

In Germany the AFN Network is thrown out on UHF signals into the air so lots of Germans pick it up with an antenna........here in England though you need a satellite receiver to pick it up from satellite 'Hotbird' at 13 degrees east...

Thanks for your reply, very informative bud,

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd rather not get into a legal argument.

AFN does have a weak signal over a UHF channel that can be picked up if you live near the intended housing areas. But most housing areas now have cable. The AFN signals over satellite are multi channel.

The decoder can only be purchased through the PX/BX (AAFES) by those eligible individuals who serve overseas. The decoder can only be authorized for the period that the individual is serving overseas. If you illegally obtain and use one of these boxes, you are violating the intent and spirit.
    Last edited by Elchucko; 02-21-2006 at 09:50 AM. Reason: correct spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Elchucko
    I'd rather not get into a legal argument.

AFN does have a weak signal over a UHF channel that can be picked up if you live near the intended housing areas. But most housing areas now have cable. The AFN signals over satellite are multi channel.

The decoder can only be purchased through the PX/BX (AAFES) by those eligible individuals who serve overseas. The decoder can only be authorized for the period that the individual is serving overseas. If you ilegally obtain and use one of these boxes, you are violating the intent and spirit.
    Oh yeh - I know how you legally get one dude...........you should check out the US Military 'Stars and Stripes' publication - there are countless members of the US Airforce selling there receivers with a subscription (mainly in Germany but also Italy and UK)........I guess there are quite a few troops who are violating that spirit you mentioned, hehe - or more likely they would like some extra cash in there pockets ay

Thanks for all your help.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Iceberg did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Iceberg did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Iceberg did! Be COOL like Iceberg and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I moved this to the FTA area so other eyes can see it
    FOLLOW THE BUZZARDS.....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast