Results 1 to 6 of 7
Thread: Looking at my options
06-27-2006 08:11 AM #1
Looking at my options
Hi, everyone. I am new to this forum. I joined because I am looking for the best information on what to do about my TV options. I have been reading the forums for a couple weeks now, and have seen lots of great information. But now itís time for my first postÖ
I am looking for advice. My situation is this. I have an HD-ready TV (no HD tuner). I am currently a D* subscriber with Total Choice, Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice, and the regional sports package, but no HD. We have the D* TiVo (the 80-hour one). I am looking at the possibility to go HD, and it seems like at the moment I have three options.
1. I have seen discussion on here where D* is offering a free HD TiVo to Sunday Ticket subscribers. I could go that way and maybe get HD now.
2. I called a couple weeks ago about a separate issue and they ended up saying I have a $200 credit when the new MPEG-4 unit comes out. So I could wait and just get the new unit.
3. I could switch to Dish, which is offering their HD DVR for $199 at the moment. I would lose Sunday Ticket, of course, but that isnít totally critical at the moment.
I would just like to get your opinions on these three options. As further information, neither service currently offers HD locals in my area, but thatís no biggie as the stations are nearby and I can bring them in with an OTA antenna.
Some aside questions. I know D* says they will have about 150 HDs by next year? How many is E* projecting? How about the RSNs in HD? Does either have any plans in this area?
I appreciate any help all of you smart people can give me.
06-27-2006 09:10 AM #2
I would call DirecTV for the free HD Tivo. I don't know how many HD channels E* will be able to have, but we do know how many DirecTV will be capable of having next year which should be way more than E* will have.
Staying with DirecTV will be your cheapest option now, and within the next year you will have the most HD available anywhere.
06-27-2006 09:24 AM #3
If Sunday Ticket isn't critical, I'd switch to E*. I switched about a week ago and have no regrets.
06-27-2006 10:04 AM #4SatelliteGuys Freshman
- Join Date
- Jun 22nd, 2006
- Post Thanks / Like
- Thread Starter
Has there been any guess on how much the new D* HD DVR will cost? That's one thing I'm looking at. If I can get the free upgrade now, then get a reduced price on the new one, that seems to make sense. But maybe it makes more sense just to wait and take the $200 credit on the new one?
06-27-2006 11:45 AM #5
i just got the free HR10-250 and asked about the HR20-250 when it does come out, the CSR told me the cost will be comparable to the HR10-250 when it first came out ($1000.00 i think thats what they were going for when they first came out )
06-27-2006 11:53 AM #6