Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RG6 vs RG6U cable

Post Thanks / Like

RG6 vs RG6U cable

Can anyone tell me the difference between RG6 and RG6U coaxial cable?
    What is a good quality brand?

Thanks
    TR

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by debbytcr
    Can anyone tell me the difference between RG6 and RG6U coaxial cable?
    What is a good quality brand?

Thanks
    TR
    If it is what I am thinking it is, RG6U is quad shield where as RG6 is shielded twice. We use CommScope.

The main thing is that it's been swept tested to at least 2150 MHz. All of our stuff is rated to 3Ghz. Use direct burial for underground lines not enclosed in conduit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought RG-U was for burial, and Quad was RG6-QS? Maybe it that is just a brand specific thing?

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Iceberg did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Iceberg did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Iceberg did! Be COOL like Iceberg and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quad specifically says Quad on it

I think IAFire is right. RG6U is burial

Post Thanks / Like
    U in rg6u means "unbalanced," a charisteristic having to do with capacitorance and nothing to do with where the cable is to be used.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! bhelms did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, bhelms did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, bhelms did! Be COOL like bhelms and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    RG-6 is a generic term, and is best interpreted as "sort of like". The "slash" number is a type designation, and that suffix came from the original, now obsolete, military "slash sheets". So RG-6/(letter) meant something specific as to construction and specifications. Thus using just RG-6 essentially means that the cable in question somehow deviates from the original /U (or /A, /B, etc.) specification in some manner. /U actually means "multiple uses".

Here is a link to some information on the numbering scheme:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/rg6.htm

See also this topic in Wikipedia for another explanation, then follow the "coaxial cable" link in that article to get to a specific listing of RG type cables. You'll note they are (almost) all /U...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RG-6

As Iceberg noted, quad shield is usually marked as such, and it is also designated as such, e.g., RG-6/UQ...

EDIT - I agree with Mike500 that RG-6/U (and ALL coax for that matter) is unbalanced, but that is not what the /U means.

Last edited by bhelms; 09-19-2006 at 01:42 PM.
    "Everybody has an agenda. Except me!"
    (M. Crichton - R.I.P. 11/04/08)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast