Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picture Quality on NFL Sunday Ticket

Post Thanks / Like

Picture Quality on NFL Sunday Ticket

I've been really disappointed in the picture quality of NFL Sunday Ticket. I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma EDTV, which I use to watch the Sunday Ticket games on standard definition Directv.

When I flip back and forth between source 1 (Directv football game), and source 2 (football game on my Adelphia cable), the cable is ALWAYS better quality. In fact, it's not even close. The AFC games on CBS, the NFC games on Fox, Sunday night game on NBC, Monday night game on ESPN, they ALL have better PQ than the lineup of Sunday games on Sunday Ticket.

When doing a signal test on my Directv receiver, I consistently get a strong 88-91 signal. Receiver is an older one ..... an RCA DRD435RH. Cable is provided by Adelphia. Just standard/basic cable. No HD.

Anyone know why Directv falls so short of cable on standard definition football game transmissions? And is there anything I can do (short of subscribing to HDTV packages) to close the gap? If my Directv could just "equal" my standard cable, I'd be happy as hell. To listen to Directv's ads, you'd think they were always superior to cable, but they sure aren't on Sunday Ticket NFL games.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
    Jeff

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Jimbo did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Jimbo did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Jimbo did! Be COOL like Jimbo and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Piratefan98 View Post
    I've been really disappointed in the picture quality of NFL Sunday Ticket. I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma EDTV, which I use to watch the Sunday Ticket games on standard definition Directv.

When I flip back and forth between source 1 (Directv football game), and source 2 (football game on my Adelphia cable), the cable is ALWAYS better quality. In fact, it's not even close. The AFC games on CBS, the NFC games on Fox, Sunday night game on NBC, Monday night game on ESPN, they ALL have better PQ than the lineup of Sunday games on Sunday Ticket.

When doing a signal test on my Directv receiver, I consistently get a strong 88-91 signal. Receiver is an older one ..... an RCA DRD435RH. Cable is provided by Adelphia. Just standard/basic cable. No HD.

Anyone know why Directv falls so short of cable on standard definition football game transmissions? And is there anything I can do (short of subscribing to HDTV packages) to close the gap? If my Directv could just "equal" my standard cable, I'd be happy as hell. To listen to Directv's ads, you'd think they were always superior to cable, but they sure aren't on Sunday Ticket NFL games.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
    Jeff
    IF you went to the HD signal you would not be having this discussion, but without HD..., D* has always had questionable SD, some channels look great while others look bad.
    I don't know how the signal looks with an EDTV set, the HD will not look as good as the asctual HD either.

What type of connections are you using to get the signal to your TV form the D* receiver ?
    Your receiver is kinda old, if you upgraded the receiver it might help too, newer technology

Post Thanks / Like
    Outside of the hometown Vikes, if the game isn't in HD, I don't turn it on. And at this rate, that exception may disappear soon...

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke with a Directv CSR last night, and almost hit my head when I heard their response.

They admitted to me that bandwidth/compression issues are resulting in this lack of detail/PQ on many channels.

According to the CSR, 2 new satellites are being launched in 2007 to help with this very problem .... and again according to her, will result in a 100% improvement to the compression/bandwidth issues.

We'll see.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like a passifying explanation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Piratefan98 View Post
    They admitted to me that bandwidth/compression issues are resulting in this lack of detail/PQ on many channels.

According to the CSR, 2 new satellites are being launched in 2007 to help with this very problem .... and again according to her, will result in a 100% improvement to the compression/bandwidth issues.

We'll see.

Jeff
    Thats sad, considering how much they charge for sunday ticket. And once the new sats launch they will probly jack the price even higher.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast