Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hd on regular cable line??

Post Thanks / Like

hd on regular cable line??

I live in the chicago land area and i was wondering if hd is supported on basic cable. So if buy a hd reciever, will it be able to show hd programs from comcast basic cable?
    thanks

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Bobby did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Bobby did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Bobby did! Be COOL like Bobby and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you buy an HDTV or an HD receiver with a QAM tuner, yes, it will receive your local channels in HD with basic cable.
    Bobby

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an HD ready tv and i looked on ebay for some hd receivers here are some of the results:
    samsung sir-t150
    samsung ts360
    MOTOROLA DCT6412
    TOSHIBA DST3100

any suggestions?? if it is a dvr slash hd receiver, will the dvr work with basic cable??

Thanks alot

Jason

TNGTony is offline Proud Staff Member
    Proud SatelliteGuys Staff Member

Proud Staff Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it has a QAM tuner, yes. Otherwise no. The unit MUST say it has a QAM decoder otherwise it doesn't. Don't let sales people say "they all have it." They don't. ATSC is for over the air digital, QAM is for cable digital unencrypted (usually just local channels).

Good luck.

Tony
    THERE= a place. not here - THEIR= belongs to them - THEY'RE = short for "They Are". THEN = a point in time; not now. - THAN = used to compare things.
    -If you tried 4 times to move forward, it was the FOURTH time you went FORTH! ---Something AFFECTS you. You have an EFFECT on something
    Some one can win a MEDAL made of a METAL like gold for showing his METTLE (courage)
    If something is LOOSE you might LOSE it. Your=belongs to "you" You're short for "you are"
    You file a suit in court. You wear a suit in court. You stay in a suite at the hotel. You sweat it out. Victory is sweet!
    If two sets of twin brothers have a gunfight, you have a Dual Duel
    MUTE=Silent, unable to talk. MOOT= No longer relevant or important. "A mute points out a moot point."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jason0522 View Post
    I have an HD ready tv and i looked on ebay for some hd receivers here are some of the results:
    samsung sir-t150
    samsung ts360
    MOTOROLA DCT6412
    TOSHIBA DST3100

any suggestions?? if it is a dvr slash hd receiver, will the dvr work with basic cable??

Thanks alot

Jason
    Be careful if you are looking for a box to buy on ebay. As i understand it, Comcast boxes can not be purchased, only leased through them. So if you are buying one, it might be stolen.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! RandallA did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, RandallA did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, RandallA did! Be COOL like RandallA and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    This new Samsung HD tuner has a QAM/ATSC tuner:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsu...oductDetail.do

They're pretty hard to find though. A couple of things though, the menus don't display on composite only on HDMI and component. The QAM tuner doesn't map the channels to the specific sub-channel number. For example, your HD locals may show up under 110-45 not on 2-1.

I believe that's a function of what you get in your cable system not the HD tuner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast