Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting DirecTv to FTA

Post Thanks / Like

Converting DirecTv to FTA

I became interested in FTA about 10 minutes ago and am curious if there is a way to use my old DirecTv dish and receiver to get FTA channels.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    No, you'd need a bigger dish and a FTA receiver (D* receiver will not work as an FTA), I do recall someone experimenting with a D* dish and FTA receiver, and stating they could only get some music audio channels.

And welcome to satguys.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing you should be able to use is the pole -- something I learned thanks to this forum. :-) I got hold of a Winegard DS2076 dish (76 cm), removed the DirecTV dish, and put the Winegard on the same pole. Then I added a Coolsat 5000 via a deal promoted here, and I was off to the races.

Post Thanks / Like

not recommended

This thread by Iceberg pretty much points you to the info on what you might get with that small dish antenna.
    It's not much, and in my opinion it's not interesting enough to start out with.
    And , depending on which DirecTV dish you have, there could be additional troubles using it
    Maybe later as an add-on, it might be slightly amusing.

As mentioned, the receiver is useless.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Stargazer did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Stargazer did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Stargazer did! Be COOL like Stargazer and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hacker?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by El Stenso View Post
    I became interested in FTA about 10 minutes ago and am curious if there is a way to use my old DirecTv dish and receiver to get FTA channels.
    What model is your reciever? I saw someone mentioning that a drd430 could be converted to a FTA. Not sure where I ran into that during my research, but might be worth doing a search if that's what you're looking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast