Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diagnosing defective lnb's

Post Thanks / Like

Diagnosing defective lnb's

Hello all, I've been working for E* for some time now and have a question for you experts out there.

How do you guys diagnose bad lnb's? I use an Aspen signal meter and a satbuddy. I know the Aspen meter has a lot of options you can select such as 13v/18v and other things but I've never really been taught how to use them. I read the manual and it said all the options are to help in diagnosing bad lnb's. Does anyone know how to actually diagnose these using the aspen meter or the satbuddy? Any info is appreciated thanks.

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Claude Greiner did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Claude Greiner did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Claude Greiner did! Be COOL like Claude Greiner and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very simple, reciever does not work with LNB, Switch LNB and Receiver works. Defective LNB!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post but what do you do when you roll up to a trouble call and there is nothing wrong with the system? The signal loss problem only happens once in a while but when you arrive it works fine? I am tired of just replacing connectors on those type of trouble calls and being hit with a trouble call on my name a week later.

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Claude Greiner did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Claude Greiner did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Claude Greiner did! Be COOL like Claude Greiner and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by velasco581 View Post
    Thanks for the post but what do you do when you roll up to a trouble call and there is nothing wrong with the system? The signal loss problem only happens once in a while but when you arrive it works fine? I am tired of just replacing connectors on those type of trouble calls and being hit with a trouble call on my name a week later.
    Replace the LNB anyways when in doubt, and RMA it as a defective part! I doubt the dealer or company you work for is going to take the time to actually test every single one!!!

If you get called back out again, then you know the receiver is bad.

Sometimes if the customer is a pain in the ass, or the trouble call is very far away, I'll replace both the LNB and receiver, and all the connectors just to make sure that I will not have to waste my time and go out there again.

The only thing I would keep an eye out for is reman DVR's. I do not trust them.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to be 100% sure, put your Dish in an easily accessable location and when you got an intermitent problem then replace the LNB with one that came off your own system that you know that works!

LNB's used to be easy to test, but with all the electronics, switching, and band stacking they do today its really almost impossible to do onsite!

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Jared Twomey did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Jared Twomey did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Jared Twomey did! Be COOL like Jared Twomey and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude Greiner View Post

LNB's used to be easy to test, but with all the electronics, switching, and band stacking they do today its really almost impossible to do onsite!
    exactly.. the buttons on your meter for 13/18v and 22kHz tone could be used to test legacy lnb's and switches. But with Dishpro stuff there is not much you can do. On service calls (specially ones far away) I replace all outside connectors and ground blocks, and lnbs if there is any question at all. Then if I get called back its either a wire or reciever issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast