Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys! We are America's Most Popular Satellite Forum!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much does it cost to have your own channel on an FTA bird?

Post Thanks / Like

How much does it cost to have your own channel on an FTA bird?

So, say I had the content and wanted to start my own TV station, broadcasting FTA to the US on IA-5 or whatever it is called now. How much is 24/7 transponder space?

I asked because I'm curious but also because I wonder how some of those carpet salesman manage to pay for their always on 'buy this lovely carpet' shows that are on.

Anyone have an idea, or know where to look?

2. # ADS
    Register Today & This Ad Goes Away! Syndicated Advertisement

Reigster at SatelliteGuys

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it's expensive. Might wanna look into the cost of the transmitting equipment. That would be a good start. Don't become Captain Midnight, do it the right way.

If you do own your own equipment, you can lower the long term costs of using someone else's teleport. I'm sure you can contact the operators and admins of the satellite companies. (Panamsat/SES/Intelsat)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by techno935 View Post
    Don't become Captain Midnight, do it the right way.
    I was reminded of this over the weekend while watching the end of a baseball game on G10. The game was in the 10th inning, when suddenly a switch was made and a test pattern appeared for something coming on in about 50 minutes on IA5 TP xx. I assume this was a contractual thing with this new uplinker, while the previous uplinker simply ran out of time? The station I was watching went in Duh... mode, and put up a station marker, while they were apparently waiting. After 5 minutes I moved on to something else, the game was probably over by then anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by techno935 View Post
    If you do own your own equipment, you can lower the long term costs of using someone else's teleport. I'm sure you can contact the operators and admins of the satellite companies. (Panamsat/SES/Intelsat)
    Go to White Springs TV's website. They promote you contacting them, and they could probably answer the questions better than we can? They might even could uplink it for you? Good Luck!

Al

Help Keep SatelliteGuys For All, Click a Star and Become a Supporter! Iceberg did! Help Support The Site And Get Rid of the Syndicated Ads, Iceberg did! If you enjoy the site consider supporting it, Iceberg did! Be COOL like Iceberg and Click a Star and become a Supporting Pub Member today!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by voomvoom View Post
    I was reminded of this over the weekend while watching the end of a baseball game on G10. The game was in the 10th inning, when suddenly a switch was made and a test pattern appeared for something coming on in about 50 minutes on IA5 TP xx. I assume this was a contractual thing with this new uplinker, while the previous uplinker simply ran out of time? The station I was watching went in Duh... mode, and put up a station marker, while they were apparently waiting. After 5 minutes I moved on to something else, the game was probably over by then anyway.
    you and me both Al

Yeah there was a feed that was to be coming up and the ball game ran long. They switrched TP's right away on the analog feed but the G10 stuff never came back
    FOLLOW THE BUZZARDS.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
    So, say I had the content and wanted to start my own TV station, broadcasting FTA to the US on IA-5 or whatever it is called now. How much is 24/7 transponder space?

I asked because I'm curious but also because I wonder how some of those carpet salesman manage to pay for their always on 'buy this lovely carpet' shows that are on.

Anyone have an idea, or know where to look?

Last fall for a couple of weeks the rugs salesman was showing bootleg movies.
    He mush have ran out of overpriced rugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RVD420 View Post
    Last fall for a couple of weeks the rugs salesman was showing bootleg movies.
    He mush have ran out of overpriced rugs.
    Yes, the Bootleg Movies, and they had writing across the screen that said they were moving to a new location and would be back soon. Only they disappeared, I think they may have gotten busted? Or fled the country...?

Al

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast