1000.2 Aiming Problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

406cas

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2015
Missoula, Montana
I am a current Dish Network customer and have been for a very long time. I have two receivers in my home and recently purchased a third, a ViP211K and a Dish Network HD 1000.2 dish on a portable tripod for tailgating. 2 weeks ago I set up the system in the backyard and aimed the dish, updated the software and downloaded the programming. Two days later, I moved the system to my tailgate, got it all set up and it worked perfectly all day long.

This past weekend I set up the system in my backyard again, because I am replacing the tripod with a shorter and more stable tripod, but unfortunately I was unable to aim it properly. My zip is 59803 and the coordinates for a 1000.2 are 170 (az), 35 (el) and 95 (skew) for the Western Arc 110, 119 & 129.

After trying to aim the satellite for most of the day with no success, doubt started to creep into my mind. I decided to check each component and started with the receiver. I took it into my home and hooked it up to my in-home system. It worked. Then I thought it might be a bad LNB. Fortunately, I have the exact same dish on my home so I just swapped the LNB's. My in-home system worked, but the portable one didn't. I changed out the coaxial cable - no barrel connectors or splitters - still nothing. I even went back to the original tripod - nada. As a last resort, I purchase a signal finder, which didn't help either.

I "chatted" with a dish support and they took me through a bunch of things to try to figure it out, to no avail. Finally the lady told me that I needed to contact dish4myrv.com to determine where my nearest retailer was. I even talked to the local retailer and they told me that there would be a $95 "bench fee" if I brought in my system to have them aim it for me.

At this point, I'm out of things to try and am hoping that someone on this forum might be able to help me out. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Looks like it is a aiming issue. Remember the box meter can not be used for finding signal. There is a delay before the box responds to the dish. If you have a peaking meter then use that along with the Dish pointer app to get the general direction

Remember to cover up the two end LNBs Then perform a switch check then aim for 119. Once found remove the two covered LNBS then re-perform the switch check. Use aluminum foil to cover the two LNBs

Reactions: dishdude
Remember the box meter can not be used for finding signal. There is a delay before the box responds to the dish. If you have a peaking meter then use that along with the Dish pointer app to get the general direction
RONZ is 100% correct. IF you use the receiver to aim you must be VERY patient because as stated above the receiver may take up to a minute to respond to the signal. It can be done but is a real PITA....

Dish pointer has the angles slightly different, on elevation and azimuth. That could explain things here. Also, make sure that tripod is flush.

Without going back into it, that sounds about right. That was magnetic north, not true north, correct? They were about 10 degrees off.

Remember to cover up the two end LNBs Then perform a switch check then aim for 119. Once found remove the two covered LNBS then re-perform the switch check. Use aluminum foil to cover the two LNBs
Okay RONZ, I've covered the two end LNB's with foil and performed a switch check, just as you recommended, and I get the following message:
Without going back into it, that sounds about right. That was magnetic north, not true north, correct? They were about 10 degrees off.
yeah. True is 186.8 and magnetic is 174.4

Sorry RONZ. This is what I see:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

What does this mean?

That means you're connected and LNB is likely good, but not pointed. Can you pull out the old tripod and give it a go, and see what happens? This all started after changing the tripod, correct?

I believe you, I just know the classic old school big tripod. That's the one I had to train on, and point with. Want to say it was 5 feet on each side...

It has been a long time since I used the point dish screen to tune a dish. If memory serves me right if the check switch matrix is showing all x's is it even possible to find signal with this method?

Mast is vertical (plumb) and tripod is level. I had unplugged the receiver when I changed back to original tripod and I just turned it back on. It's performing a switch test right now. I'll let you know the results. I still have the foil on the outside LNB's. BTW, I appreciate all your help.

A big fault is what you use to point to the Azimuth. The dish arm is not the pointer.

Align the back vertical blades on the dish to the desired compass setting. Also the closer to the dish you get with the compass, the more Magnetic Deviation from the metal in the dish will affect the compass reading. That far west the dish could add 10 degrees to the compass reading.

Make sure the receiver is set to Satellite 119 because the multi-switch can float between LNBFs without a satellite selection. If it on 110 and you have foil over the 110 LNBF, you can get nothing

A big fault is what you use to point to the Azimuth. The dish arm is not the pointer.

Align the back vertical blades on the dish to the desired compass setting. Also the closer to the dish you get with the compass, the more Magnetic Deviation from the metal in the dish will affect the compass reading. That far west the dish could add 10 degrees to the compass reading.

Make sure the receiver is set to Satellite 119 because the multi-switch can float between LNBFs without a satellite selection. If it on 110 and you have foil over the 110 LNBF, you can get nothing
Thanks Brussam. Sorry for the long wait, it's still working.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts