222/222K News

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
Effective September 18th the 222/222k receiver will no longer be available for existing customer promotions. Basically this just means that no existing customers will be able to upgrade to the 222/222k receiver under the Dish'N It Up promotion. Customers will still be able to purchase the receiver and have it active on their account. It is also still available for new customer installs. (For now)

This may not mean much to a lot of members here but it means a lot to me as a retailer. These receivers can offer a great solution for a lot customers. Not everyone wants a DVR, as crazy as it sounds. A lot of my customers just want to watch TV for a decent price and a 222k fits that customer's needs perfect. No one else in the pay TV market can offer a better two room TV solution than Dish, and now they are gradually getting rid of that advantage. It also makes installs much harder since we are forced to install more 211z receivers.

Can't say I'm surprised. Always assumed there would be a point where we only have 211 and Hopper.

Reactions: navychop
They have been working on this publicly for over a year. They stopped offering it directly
Through dish last year as a diu option(don't know if they brought it back) and were govingg a $7x24 for people who were upgrading their 322. That would get them two 211

Reactions: SomeDishGuy
They have been working on this publicly for over a year. They stopped offering it directly
Through dish last year as a diu option(don't know if they brought it back) and were govingg a $7x24 for people who were upgrading their 322. That would get them two 211

We could upgrade Plan A customers to a 222 but that's it on upgrades. A Plan B or C customer had to get two 211 receivers. It doesn't sound like a big deal but when I'm trying to come up with an easy install for a customer this becomes an issue. Having a receiver at every TV does not always work that well.

We could upgrade Plan A customers to a 222 but that's it on upgrades. A Plan B or C customer had to get two 211 receivers. It doesn't sound like a big deal but when I'm trying to come up with an easy install for a customer this becomes an issue. Having a receiver at every TV does not always work that well.
You are a big pusher of Hopper & Joey that is a receiver at each TV so how is that different from a 211 on a VIP system? 222 only has one HD out TV1, TV2 is sd so the customer would have to upgrade again to get rid of 222 as he replaces TV sets.

I'm surprised the ViP222 series is still around in any manner shape or form.

You are a big pusher of Hopper & Joey that is a receiver at each TV so how is that different from a 211 on a VIP system? 222 only has one HD out TV1, TV2 is sd so the customer would have to upgrade again to get rid of 222 as he replaces TV sets.
Two different circumstances. They have a new tv and an older tv and don't want DVR, the 222 is the better/cheaper option.

I currently have a 622 and (922?) for a three tv setup. (922?) is connected to a new tv that doesn't need DVR, while the 622 is connected to a new tv and old tv and needs DVR (the two main TVs). When we upgrade the old TV we will upgrade to the hopper/Joey setup most likely as it'll make the most sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I push the Hopper a lot on here because the members on here are much more knowledgeable on technology. My average customer doesn't know much about technology at all and they want the cheapest solution they can get. I don't even bring up the Hopper with my customers unless they start talking about getting HD DVR on multiple TVs. I still get a lot of customers who don't know what a DVR is, they think I'm talking about a DVD player.

Even Hopper customers don't want a box at every TV, especially the kitchen. At least the Hopper system has Joeys which are much smaller. Majority of my customer want to mirror at least one TV and it's a pain with everything receiver other than a dual tuner or at least a receiver with coax out.

I'm not familiar with the 222. How does it differ from the 211? I've got a 211K that I'm using. I have HD on one TV and SD on the second. I also added a hard drive later and have DVR on the main TV.

Is the 222 wireless so you don't have to run a coax from the receiver to the second TV?

I'm not familiar with the 222. How does it differ from the 211? I've got a 211K that I'm using. I have HD on one TV and SD on the second. I also added a hard drive later and have DVR on the main TV.

Is the 222 wireless so you don't have to run a coax from the receiver to the second TV?

The 222 is a dual tuner receiver just like the 322 receiver. It is one receiver that has two tuners built in so it can feed two TVs. The receiver has a coax output for the second tuner in order to feed a second TV. The 222 also comes with two remotes, one IR for TV1 and one UHF for TV2.

The second tuner has to send it's signal to the second TV through coax and is not wireless. You would need coax cable run to the second TV you wish to use.

The 222 is a dual tuner receiver just like the 322 receiver. It is one receiver that has two tuners built in so it can feed two TVs. The receiver has a coax output for the second tuner in order to feed a second TV. The 222 also comes with two remotes, one IR for TV1 and one UHF for TV2.

The second tuner has to send it's signal to the second TV through coax and is not wireless. You would need coax cable run to the second TV you wish to use.

Okay, thanks. So, you have to run coax from the dish to the second receiver instead of just running coax from the receiver to the other room.

Reactions: TheKrell
Okay, thanks. So, you have to run coax from the dish to the second receiver instead of just running coax from the receiver to the other room.

No, one cable from the dish to the receiver. Then cable out of the receiver to the second TV. The cable that feeds the signal from the dish to the receiver can also be used to back feed the signal for TV2 by using a diplexer. I may not be explaining this all that well, I'm more of a visual aid kind of guy.

No, one cable from the dish to the receiver. Then cable out of the receiver to the second TV. The cable that feeds the signal from the dish to the receiver can also be used to back feed the signal for TV2 by using a diplexer. I may not be explaining this all that well, I'm more of a visual aid kind of guy.

Yes, I meant now that you're having to install two 211's, you have to run another dish feed to the second room.

I am a 222k user. Although our second tv is HD also, it is in our bedroom and the picture quality is great. We also mirror it to our excercise room to an older SD TV. This setup works great for us. If our 222k ever quits and we are unable to find another one, I am sure we will only use OTA, Netflix, & Hulu+.
This receiver is also the reason we stay with Dish and ignore the DTV offers and harassment.
Oh, and yes, it is a much cheaper solution...

I am a 222k user. Although our second tv is HD also, it is in our bedroom and the picture quality is great. We also mirror it to our excercise room to an older SD TV. This setup works great for us. If our 222k ever quits and we are unable to find another one, I am sure we will only use OTA, Netflix, & Hulu+.
This receiver is also the reason we stay with Dish and ignore the DTV offers and harassment.
Oh, and yes, it is a much cheaper solution...

I'm hoping you will still be able to swap it out if it ever goes bad. I can still use 222 receivers, I just can't use them for existing customer promotions. An existing customer would have to purchase one if they wanted to use it.

Reactions: ChadT41

Yep, they had brought it back. I had dealt with some DIUs where it was not available, and had to replace a SD 322 with a pair of 211s, and there was the extra $7/mo cost, but the credit covered it. I was thinking it may have even been a $7x36, but that has been a while.

The reason behind getting rid of the 222 was that when it was hot and popular, most folks didn't have a house full of HD televisions, and this could power up an HD television at TV1, and the customer could have an "uncomplicated" SD television at TV2 without even having a receiver there, just a coax and a remote. Obviously, over time, SD televisions are decreasing in percentage. Probably can't even buy a new SD television any more...

I have absolutely no idea what happens next, but for me, common sense says that the 622/722/722k like could suffer the same fate at some point, with them pushing multiple 612 receivers as a replacement, but practically, they'll push the Hopper/Joey system.

I could see a future where your options will be Hopper/Super Joey/Wired Joey/Wireles Joey, and either a 612 or a 211z. Again, just a personal thought, absolutely nothing to even guess that it could happen.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)